Options

Taking Sec+ Next Week... need advice

jeepbrewjeepbrew Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I am going to sit for the Security+ Exam next Wed or Thursday, and I just wanted to get some advice from you guys. I know it's late in the game, but I want to go over what I have studied and see if you guys feel I will be prepared well enough.

First off, I started with the Mike Meyer's Passport. I agree with most of the comments that I have read in that it is not a whole lot of info. It did, however, give me a broad idea of what to expect, plus it has two practice exams and in-chapter study questions.

I also have read the free Tcat's and I feel even more comfortable. Do you guys think I need to read the 700 page full set? I am getting them when I purchase my test voucher, but I only have a week left and there are other study materials I can work on. Is the full version that much better?

Thirdly, I read about 1/2 of the MS Press book, but it just bored me to death. I may pick it up next week and try to finish it up.

I reviewed the Cramsession study guide and all of the links they provided, and it appeared to be some good info.

Now I am working on the Sybex Sec+ Study guide. I am about half way through it after only 1 day of having it in my possession. It is definitely a better read than all of the above.

As soon as I get done with Sybex, I plan on going over the CBT Nuggets - I got em from a friend for free!!

Finally, I have a few practice exams to go over and see how well I have done - Mike Meyers, Sybex, and one other I believe.

After all of this study material, would you guys think I am good to go? I have also made plenty of flash cards for port #s and such. I just want to make sure I am prepared. Please feel free to offer advice.

Thanks

Brandon

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Have you tried the practice exams on this site?

These guys generally do a good job and their tests should be a good indicator of readiness.

Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    scotyscoty Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the exam cram 2 security+ book and it has a lot of good info in it. I've read it 3 times but am not sure if it covers everything on the test. I'm thinking about buying the todd king book also. The prep logic test that came with the exam cram book seems pretty tough but I passed it 1 out of two tries and am hoping to take the sec+ test in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Just to let you know, Exam Cram 2 is not enough to pass the Security+. There are a lot of areas that the book does not cover, so I would recommend having at least one other extensive reference.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    scotyscoty Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheeblie, what else would you recommend, I have the tcat free pdf also and did order the tood king security+ book. also have the exam cram for windows 2kpro,server directory services and network. I am new to the it field and need all the help I can get
  • Options
    debratdebrat Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I am also reading for the Security+ exam (slowly). I have the sybex book. Where can I get the free TCAT book? heard its good for preparation as well
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    debrat wrote:
    Where can I get the free TCAT book? heard its good for preparation as well
    Get it at www.alphageekproductions.com. I just bought the full, 700 page doc and it's much better than the preliminary freebie doc. Well worth the $20.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    debrat wrote:
    Where can I get the free TCAT book? heard its good for preparation as well
    Get it at www.alphageekproductions.com. I just bought the full, 700 page doc and it's much better than the preliminary freebie doc. Well worth the $20.

I just got it today... I will try to read it before my test, but after all of the other materials I have covered, I am not sure I can fit any more info in my brain!! icon_eek.gif

I am taking the test Monday, the 13th, at 11am... wish me luck!

BTW, the Sybex book was great!
  • Options
    janmike wrote:
    Have you tried the practice exams on this site?

Quote... yes, I am having very few problems getting them right! I hope that is a good sign... I usually get 100%