SSCP? CEH? Not sure where to go next

franziskanerfranziskaner Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed Sec+ early on last year and had a break from studying for a while, just generally reading on things that interested me. This year I want to get another cert so I can make my CV stand out a bit more but I'm not sure what to do. I have 3 year experience in a security/system admin job.

The certs my company routinely asks for for the next step up for me are CISSP, CEH, and CISM. I've read a lot about all of those and only CEH sounds most appropriate for my circumstances.

I was interested in doing SSCP as being from ISC it gives me a taste for their material but it seems like in the UK this isn't any more recognised than the Sec+. I've gone through quite a lot of job adverts to see what people ask for and CISSP obviously seems top, CEH gets reasonable amount of mentions. I don't see SSCP and Sec+ that much though, about the same.

I'm not that keen actually on doing CEH based on all the things I've read here but it does still seem to matter to recruiters or has some weight anyway.

Did think about doing another CompTIA cert as also have A+ and I know how they do things so thought about doing the Linux+ but really not sure there is much point.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you passed the Sec+ last year, you can put CEH CEUs towards it. CEH would be logical for you as the next step, then CISSP, then CISM. Good luck.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Since you passed the Sec+ last year, you can put CEH CEUs towards it. CEH would be logical for you as the next step, then CISSP, then CISM. Good luck.

Yea, a lot of people doesn't respect the CEH, it is a good introduction to penetration testing, the outcome depend if you study for learning or just you study to pass the exam.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say CISSP. You already have those domains learned in Sec+ so you only need to learn a couple more. Its an easier test than people make it out to be.
  • franziskanerfranziskaner Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. Started doing some reading for CEH, seems more logical as I want to keep moving my career in more technical direction as well.