LinkedIn - Professional Networking site

rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
Does anyone else use LinkedIn? They are a professional networking site? Do you use another? I believe it is a great resource for IT professionals to start a professional network of friends and colleagues. You don't know where your next job may come from, or opportunites might be waiting for your skills.

As a consultant for a software company, I normally try to add one or two people from each project I work on (and trying to get better at it) so I can keep in touch as I (or they) move to different jobs.

Take Care,
RCoop
Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As cliche as it sounds, (and as little as I use it,) my MySpace account keeps on getting messages from IT groups that want to have me as a member, since I have my certs, my education, and my job history in my profile. I don't know how effective it is, but it seems to be pretty easy to find others "of the geek", on that whole MySpace deal. . .

http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details.asp?affid=-1&productID=599

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    I never thought of myspace, but that's pretty cool. It does have a sort of "high school" or "non-professional" stigma tied to it though, and have been reluctant to open a myspace account because of it.

For some reason, the network news keeps telling me I need to keep my kids away from it icon_lol.gif

Take Care,
    RCoop
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think MySpace is like a little version of the actual internet, itself. Sure, if you try and search for anything it's nothing but teenagers flaming each other and ****, but every once in a while, if you're willing to sift through enough crap, you find something useful.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    It is definitely an entertaining site to go to!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm on LinkedIn. It's a very addicting networking service, almost like a computer game. PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite to link.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Im also on linkedin, just dont remember my email address that I used to sign up.
    Now working full time!
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm, just signed up, looks like a cool way to stay in touch and possibly make some industry contacts. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)
    jdmurray,

Man it is a small world!

You previously worked at the company I now work at, and one of my best buds just left last week to go work at the same company you work at... and we met on an international certification and have been active members since 2003.

Thanks for the invitation, and the ability to expand my network.

Take Care,
    RCoop
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yep, this is too, too weird. Your buddy just started at PWG last Monday. Lately I've been (re)discovering a bunch of old Kofax people through LinkedIn. I'd sure like to contact my old boss again.

If anybody wants to network with me through LinkedIn.com, just PM me your email address here at TechExams. If you are looking for a job, I highly recommend LinkedIn as a great place to personally meet recruiters. The "secret" is to put your email address in your public name and they find you.
    I was wondering why you did that... hmmm... too cool.

Oh, and I had the pleasure of taking Jason on his first onsite project... which was in Austin, TX... just an absolutely crazy time (and project), in a very wild town. Still my favorite customer onsite, ...with the most stories too! Let's just say, we stayed at a Mariott that was surrounded by a graveyard, the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile showed up in the parking lot, and in the same evening the 'Girls Gone Wild' RV is in town... of course that was only the first week when we were trying to find our way around town...

Very neat to see all the cross-overs.

Take Care,
    RCoop