GCIH passed

quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
I joined this site to get some advice on the GCIH test. I mainly read over everyone's posts and took advice on their experiences. I passed my exam on 12/19 and thought I'd share my testing experience. I did the SANS on demand training for SEC504. I started the training in mid November with watching the videos while I was waiting for the books to arrive. I quickly got bored of the videos and found them to be a waste of time. I moved on to the books and read them all the way through. In total I ended up reading them 3 times. I made an index for each book by page number and taped them to the inside of each book. I took all of the book indexes and sorted them in alphabetical order. I also color coded this list...yellow for book 1, orange for book 2, red for book 3, etc. I then went through each book and and terms that I thought might be needed for the exam I added to be alphabetical index. This was a big help. If a certain page mentions a tool or term you should add it to your alphabetical index. Also, look through your alphabetical index and make sure the terms will be helpful when you need to search for them during the exam. If a page is labeled as how to secure a network you may want to change it to network security or network (how to secure) so you can find it easier.

I took two practice tests. The first one I took too early on 12/5 after about two weeks of studying. My alphabetical index wasn't complete and I had wasted some time studying material that was irrelevant. I scored a 73% in just under 4 hours. The second practice test I took on 12/17 and scored an 81 in a little less than 3 hours. I took the exam on 12/19 and scored 86%. I thought the practice tests were very useful and the same level of difficulty as the actual test.

Comments

• jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • wwjd1004wwjd1004 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Tr1x5TaTr1x5Ta Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • wwjd1004wwjd1004 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    quogue66 wrote: »
    I thought the practice tests were very useful and the same level of difficulty as the actual test.

I agree, I found the Practice tests are very useful to see where you stand. That's why I recommend not attempting one until your index is completed and to take the practice exam as your taking the real exam test. You only get two and can't buy more, they are not to be wasted. Congratulations on your pass. I'll be taking the GCIH training in March in Orlando.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Also, if you don't mind, when did you register and what was the ballpark figure on the cost?

I just registered yesterday and still recovering from the sticker shock on the total package (just a few dollars short of $8K).

My last SANS cert course and exam cost me about $5K and I thought that was high.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I agree, I found the Practice tests are very useful to see where you stand. That's why I recommend not attempting one until your index is completed and to take the practice exam as your taking the real exam test. You only get two and can't buy more, they are not to be wasted. Congratulations on your pass. I'll be taking the GCIH training in March in Orlando.

For my last SANS cert, I completed my index before the first practice test and was able to tweek and make my index more efficient as I went along.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • pgupta101pgupta101 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for sharing. i am studying for gcih.
    not sure if creating index will help! will i have time to look at the books ?
    In last successful attempt on GCCC, i took the books with me to the exam, but didnt refer them at all.