Who owns (and verifies) ITIL certification?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I'm thoroughly confused on who the owning body is for the ITIL certifications (and who would be the ones to verify them). Is it APMG, EXIN or Axelos?
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I believe that it is Axelos and APMG and Exin are like sub-agents.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did a quick google search and it brought me to a test **** site, but I believe it his a pretty spot on comparison of the 3.
    I do believe OctalDump is right though. Axelos is the owner, and EXIN/APMG are the Exam Institutes.
    Guess I can't actually link the site on the forums, so I'll just provide a snippet below

Side note: I took the EXIN version. I never had to deal with Axelos to get my hard copy or digital copy of certification. As for verification, no one has ever asked me for any sort of link to have them verified, so I'm not sure.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Below is what info the site actually provided.

"Axelos

AXELOS is a new joint venture company based in the UK. It is a rather peculiar company, as its scope is not that clear. It is now the legal owner of all PRINCE2® and ITIL® intellectual data. Most of the accreditation is for ITIL®, PRINCE2®, MSP®, M_o_R®, P3O®, MoP® and MoV®. It does not provide training itself, but there they do have accredited partners and offer it through ATO. PLUS: Their young age makes them innovative and open-minded. They are the legal owners of PRINCE2 and ITIL intellectual property. MINUS: There are quite a few minus points to this one. For starters, navigating through their main site is a nightmare. I actually do not know exactly what they are, or even if they provide certifiers for individuals, or for certifying companies.
    Despite that, they do have some rather interesting study materials and articles written about the ITIL and PRINCE2 exams, and it might be worth the hassle to visit their site first and see how much you can dig up before the site short-circuits your brain. I swear, their site is just horrible.
    No price range is apparent; however I think that they are the ones who set the general guidelines regarding payment over some exams. I’m sorry for the lack of information, but they seemed too important to ignore, even with my lack of knowledge."

The battle
    The main thing to consider when taking a certifying exam is the recognition. Between EXIL and AMPG, I’d reckon EXIL has better recognition world-wide thanks both to its age, and the well-built site that offers all information that is needed. In terms of price, AMPG might have an edge as it is a bit cheaper than EXIL. Both certifiers allow for exams to be taken on-line, however EXIL seems a bit more strict over the conditions in which the exam can be taken, but not by much. EXIL also tends to deliver the results rather faster. In terms of picking out the certification you need, EXIL may have its exams a little better structured, and it’s easier to pick out what exam you need and exam-path. AMPG has somewhat of a lack of information and structure regarding their site. Not saying that it’s bad, just worse than EXIL. Also, regarding coverage, EXIL has a bigger array of language options available, and can be taken in a multitude of locations around the world at not price difference. AMPG however modifies its prices depending on the region.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks guys. After Googling I was confused on the relationship between the three organizations. I did my exam through EXIN. I have to give contact info for a background check for them to verify my certs so I was needing to know who to refer them to.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    APMG and EXIN are 'exam institutes' - accredited and approved by AXELOS who own ITIL, PRINCE2 etc. You can see the full list of exam institutes here: https://www.axelos.com/becoming-an-axelos-partner/examination-institutes

The ITIL Foundation certificate that you receive is exactly the same, no matter which exam institute you use. I've never heard of an employer viewing a certificate from one EI as being better than another. All the EIs use the question bank provided by AXELOS, but as above, they differentiate on services offered, geography, price etc.

Accredited training organisations (ATOs in the comment above) choose an EI to work with. The EI then checks their materials, customer service etc. to confirm they are up to standard. AXELOS governs the whole scheme and charges ATOs a fee for using their intellectual property.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Think of APMG and EXIN as Prometric and Pearson Vue..
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like this Thread.
    I passed the test but STILL didn't know WHO was actually in CHarge :]

With that being said,
    Is there a way to Verify the cert online; like Comptia, Cisco (etc) allow?

All i ever got was a pink, PDF download from Axelos.
    (seems like it can be easily spoof'd)
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting, mine was blue from 2008.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Is there a way to Verify the cert online; like Comptia, Cisco (etc) allow?

The official site where people can look you up to verify the claims of having the certs is:
    https://www.axelos.com/successful-candidates-register.aspx

The lookup can be done by your name or candidate number.

thanks
    Iain
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I can't find 'me'.icon_rolleyes.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's what i was looking for :]

Gracias
    I can't find 'me'.icon_rolleyes.gif

I had the same trouble.
    Your Candidate ID is actually the first part of your Registration #.

Or just do a partial name-search;
    Bugs B.
    Daff Duc,
    etc
    I did do that.
    Hi scaredoftests

I'm not sure when you took your exam - it can take up to a month for the register to be updated. If it's more than a month, contact your Exam Institute (the name should be on your certificate) and explain that you want to be added. They should take care of it for you.

Claire
    Hi scaredoftests

I'm not sure when you took your exam - it can take up to a month for the register to be updated. If it's more than a month, contact your Exam Institute (the name should be on your certificate) and explain that you want to be added. They should take care of it for you.

Claire

November 2013!
    Ha! Yes it should definitely be up there by now icon_smile.gif
    Ha! Yes it should definitely be up there by now icon_smile.gif
    Yes, I would think so.. LOL
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    March 2008 for me, and I'm not in there either... very odd. Nobody has ever asked to verify though.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    March 2008 for me, and I'm not in there either... very odd. Nobody has ever asked to verify though.
    I am glad I am not the only one.
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    I think APMG & Axelos are the owning body of ITIL certifications.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    This question is answered.
    APMG and EXIN are 'exam institutes' - accredited and approved by AXELOS who own ITIL, PRINCE2 etc. You can see the full list of exam institutes here: https://www.axelos.com/becoming-an-axelos-partner/examination-institutes
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    Think of APMG and EXIN as Prometric and Pearson Vue..
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM