What are the exams like?

brfitzpbrfitzp Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying to earn my ccnp and was just wondering how the exams are at the ccnp level. Are the exams similar to the CCNA where it's almost all multiple choice with 2-3 simulations?

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think anyone can tell you because of the NDA.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The question types are generally the same across Cisco exams (Multiple Choice, Drag and Drop, Simulation, Simlet, Testlet), but there is no way to say for certain how many of each you will receive on any given exam. Be prepared for all the types. The CCNP level exams expect more than the CCNA. The CCNP is more focused on configuration and troubleshooting while the CCNA is more theory and being able to answer questions about a network or device using CLI commands.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • m4jk3lm4jk3l Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly what @theodoxa said + you can learn about all types of questions on CCNP route exam from this video on Cisco's website: https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/flashybrid/tech/cln/netmgmt/ccde_practical_examdemo/cert_exam_tutorial_v2.html
  • SilverymoonSilverymoon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its the same as the ccna in the test for Route and Switch. Some configuration labs and lots of questions and maybe drag and drop. The Cisco website has a demo test you can try. Cisco make you work for the CCNP and Route requires a lot of memorisation. My mistake was going self study and not netacad. For labs do the CCNP learning labs (Cisco website) if you have the money. If not there are videos of youtube. The only physical gear you will need is 4 switches, two 3560 and two 2960. You can download CSR1000v routers from the Cisco website and run them via an ESXi server but only do this if your next stop is CCIE R&S. I have 30 routers on a ESXi server and 4 physical switches. Avoid Netsim its crap. IOU is okay but private vlans don't appear to work, latest IOU lets you configure the commands but ping's don't appear to work. The CCNP Switch lab book requires two 3560's IOS 15 for private VLANs. You can get a cheap 3560 PoE switch for the power of ethernet commands but you will be stuck at IOS 12.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whatever you do, don't expect the flash based sims to act like real equipment should, they don't come close. You can enter a command on 2 interfaces using the up arrow, do a show run, and the result is different for each interface...no error messages...and you can also waste a lot of time trying to fix it (I wasted time and couldn't fix it).
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't expect the flash based sims to act like real equipment should, they don't come close. You can enter a command on 2 interfaces using the up arrow, do a show run, and the result is different for each interface...no error messages...and you can also waste a lot of time trying to fix it (I wasted time and couldn't fix it).
    I had a coworker who was using a simulator to study. He would ask about something and when I would try to show him, the commands wouldn't work right. I would end up PuTTYing into my equipment at home to show what the output should be (rather than what the simulator showed).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]