Word 2003 Question

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
has anyone ever seen an error with word 2003 where all of the characters on a single line are pushed into one position (the first position on the left hand side). I have a user experiencing this issue and I have no idea what to do. It's a hard issue to search for also. So far I have just installed the software again. Any ideas will be appreciated. icon_confused.gif
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Screenshot?
    witty comment
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    dont have one unfortunetly. I have yet to see it happen. Just had it explained to me icon_sad.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    Sounds like a font issue. Try selecting the text and changing the font. If that has no effect, try selecting a different print driver. Lastly, reset all the document settings (margins, etc.) back to their default values.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I was thinking page format or even like JD suggested Font.

Maybe the master template was altered??
    So possibly you'd need to create a new .doc

If this is recurring, only 1 user, no malware noted on the system after each time you are called for this....sounds like the user may be doing something without knowing and resetting the defaults in some manner.

Did this just 'show up'? Or had some program or new drivers recently been installed on the system?

Does it only appear in Word? Or does Excel and Outlook have this issue too?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    It's so weird. It only happens in word, but it happens with multipul documents. The first time it happened she put a ticket in for me to come see it. When I got there it was gone from the screen, but I saw it printed out. The second time it happened she called our help desk and they tried to remote into her machine, but as soon as the guy got on, it cleared from the screen. So, by the time I got out there it was fixed again. I thought printer driver immediatly except for the fact that it was changed on the screen it's self. Could that happen from a driver?
    BS - Computer Science

You meant .dot, right? :)
    That could be it...
    Delete normal.dot and then run the Office Repair from Add/Remove Programs.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Maybe the master template was altered??

You meant .dot, right? :)
    That could be it...
    Delete normal.dot and then run the Office Repair from Add/Remove Programs.

YES!! .dot (for template) not .doc

whew....thanks for catching that typo...spell check skipped it because it 'was' correct though a totally different thing.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Delete the normal.dot file :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I don't think the Word "Detect and Repair" feature will repair a bad normal.dot file, but it should replace a missing one. You can also select a different template for a new document and see if the problem goes away. If it still occurs with templates other than normal.dot, I'd try selecting a different printer as the Windows default printer. How Word displays a document is tied to the printer selected for the document.