ITIL Practitioner exam

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
So this exam will be available next month, in February. There is a book also available. Has anyone bought the book yet? I looked into it a bit more and it seems that the exam is open book.
I have never taken an open book certification before so just wanted to know what is consideres open book. Does this mean that i can search online while I'm taking the test? Or does this mean that i should have all my notes and a book available while i take the exam?

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks interesting. As you know from prior experience the ITIL exams can be deceptively simple to complete. Will be interested to see where this one goes.

My only problem with ITIL is that hardly anyone on this side of the pond uses it (successfully, lol).

- b/eads
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    what is consideres open book. Does this mean that i can search online while I'm taking the test? Or does this mean that i should have all my notes and a book available while i take the exam?

It means if you have a clean, unmarked copy of the official book then you can refer to it during the exam so long as you do it in front of the camera. No post-its, not written notes and no PDF files (although I believe the exam may have a PDF available within the test engine - best to ask the exam body to be sure).

I always found the Intermediate exams to be too tight on time to bother looking stuff up and preferred to just learn the material beforehand, but different people do things in different ways.

Iain
  • Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    You are not allowed to look up anything in the Intermediate exams anyway. The new qualification is about application of ITIL. The courses will have very few slides, if any - so no death by powerpoint! However it requires much more student participation. The exam will be 40 questions, with 1 hour 45 minutes to complete it, and students will be allowed access to the course book. Many questions will be based on the case study used in the course.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are not allowed to look up anything in the Intermediate exams anyway. The new qualification is about application of ITIL. The courses will have very few slides, if any - so no death by powerpoint! However it requires much more student participation. The exam will be 40 questions, with 1 hour 45 minutes to complete it, and students will be allowed access to the course book. Many questions will be based on the case study used in the course.

So no other notes for the ITIL Practitioner right Liz? Only the book?
    beads wrote: »
    Looks interesting. As you know from prior experience the ITIL exams can be deceptively simple to complete. Will be interested to see where this one goes.

My only problem with ITIL is that hardly anyone on this side of the pond uses it (successfully, lol).

- b/eads

You are right not a lot of companies use it in the US. But a lot of the mature companies use it though. I worked for a financial services company and we used ITIL very successfully. I attribute some of the correct answers to me passing the exam to the experience from that company. Now I'm thinking of this exam so that i can put it to work in other companies. My current company though wants to do Lean Six Sigma.
    So no other notes for the ITIL Practitioner right Liz? Only the book?
    There will probably be a small number of slides, and exercises. It looks really interesting, and challenging.
  • torrentetorrente Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I have taken and passed ITIL Practitioner exams, some comments it:
    - In my opinion is a very good addition to ITIL portfolio, content is good and it gives a good opportunity to develop good practical courses.
    - Exam is well developed and quite challenging, I predict a passing rate similar to Intermediates or lower. Sample paper gives a good idea about it.
    - All exam is based in a case study with situational questions. In my case the base case it was the same as the one that appears in sample paper provided by Axelos, only the general background not the question block specific backgrounds. Considering the limited time for the exam I think that it is a good idea to use the same base case.
    - On the exam you can only use a CLEAN copy of the oficial guide “ITIL® Practitioner Guidance”, it is a good support for the exam but allowed time will not allow to use it too much.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So this exam will be available next month, in February. There is a book also available. Has anyone bought the book yet? I looked into it a bit more and it seems that the exam is open book.
    I have never taken an open book certification before so just wanted to know what is consideres open book. Does this mean that i can search online while I'm taking the test? Or does this mean that i should have all my notes and a book available while i take the exam?

I bought the book and think it is of high quality. Probably rate it higher than most exam study guides I have purchased in the past. I have not started studying yet though.
    It's Feburary and the exam is still not available. Any idea of the availability?
    I did it in the early launch for trainers in Peoplecert and I can see that at least in Peoplecert the exam is available for general public as web-proctored for $356.

Remember that the practitioner book should be "clean" for the exam, should not be annotated/highlighted/underlined… etc, they use to do a overview of it in the webcam before the exam.
    torrente wrote: »
    I did it in the early launch for trainers in Peoplecert and I can see that at least in Peoplecert the exam is available for general public as web-proctored for $356.

Remember that the practitioner book should be "clean" for the exam, should not be annotated/highlighted/underlined… etc, they use to do a overview of it in the webcam before the exam.

Did you take the exam in the states? I still have not seen this test available.
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Did you take the exam in the states? I still have not seen this test available.
    I do not live in USA, I have done the exam with web proctor with Peoplecert, I can see that it can be purchased with Peoplecert as any other exam.
    I just received this from Peoplecert:
    Rules to taking an ITIL® Practitioner exam have changed with immediate effect.

Candidates are now able to:

- Use an annotated copy of the ITIL® Practitioner Manual during the open book examination
    - Tabulate sections of the manual, however such markers must not contain any written notes

Please note that loose leaf papers are not permitted.
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    To take ITIL Practitioner exam, individuals must hold an existing ITIL Foundation certificate.
  • csahacsaha Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi - Does anyone have the 2 sample papers for ITIL PRACTITIONER exam ? ....
  • YakoBossYakoBoss Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi torrente, i need your help. I wish take the practitioner exam to finally the month. Do you know some page o web where practice the exam or download the sample exam? thanks
  • GerwinGerwin Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, does one of you has the exam papers and or sample paper for training? You would be a great help :) THX upfront
    As has been stated on this forum before, official sample papers are available from Axelos, or through your training provider (although Practitioner can be sat without an accredited course, so , in that case, you would need to go to Axelos).
    There are NO actual questions available apart from the official samples. The questions used in the exam are NOT available. Do not blame a particular training provider for the quality of the questions - they all use the same ones.