Failed Security plus

locod64locod64 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whats going everyone,

For a few weeks I been reading different threads on security plus on this site. Im a help desk technician, and my company offer me a information assurance entry level spot. I have till Dec 5 to obtain the cert or they are going to hire from outside. I been prepping for about 6 weeks with prof Messer and a few other online study guides.

I took the test today, [removed exam specifics]

sadly to say i walked away with a 660 and re-schedule for dec 3, to see if I can still come up with this job.

any word of advice Or things I should look into.. I have a good understating of security plus but Comptia got the best of me on how they word a question..

any input will be greatly appreciated.
Luis

Comments

• QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took my exam November 19th. What helped me is that I read two books front to back. Reading and understanding the material is what helps you with those extremely vague confusing CompTIA questions. I read Logical Operations SYO-401 and Darrill Gibson. I then supplemented with Professor Messor videos and practice exams. I'm also on a helpdesk. Good luck on a retake. The exam was harder than I expected, however I thought that about all of them because the questions are meant to be interpreted not memorized.
  • DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    Good luck on the exam, I am sure you will pass and get that job!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking at a retake what I used to pass was

CBT Nuggets, Mike Meyer's Security+, Gibson's Review Book, and CertMaster. I made a 850.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    without violating NDA the exam covers everything in the course objectives. you have to go through everything line by line. don't skimp over boring stuff like BIA and DRP. They also want you to know the changes from SY0-301 CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Resources
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    locod64,

I hope you passed the exam yesterday. How did you do?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • locod64locod64 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I missed the exam by 10 points. I was still able to come up with the job but have 90 days to pass it.. so the battle still ahead of me!!
    thanks everyone
  • revnedrevned Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used measureup practice exam to hone in on my weakness and then went back to the darril gibson book. I took the SY0-301 so i'm not sure how much new content has been added. I find that I learn much quicker if I know what my weaknesses are. I find it hard to read through the book and absorb everything. With taking the practice exam first, I know what I am weak on and focus on it instead.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take all of the exam objectives as well as their terms and define them (including ports/protocols). Learn them front and back. Then learn about how things work in regards to PKI and certificate exchange, etc. If you can define all the terms and know all the ports/protocols, you will be able to piece together almost any question the test is asking you.

Works for me every time. Even if you had brief instruction on something that it's asking you on the test, you can almost always piece it together based on your knowledge of the terms.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
    I rescheduled the test for January 13. I will go over the test objective and see what Im weak at.
  • dyrwidyrwi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    advanex1 wrote: »
    Take all of the exam objectives as well as their terms and define them (including ports/protocols). Learn them front and back. Then learn about how things work in regards to PKI and certificate exchange, etc. If you can define all the terms and know all the ports/protocols, you will be able to piece together almost any question the test is asking you.

Works for me every time. Even if you had brief instruction on something that it's asking you on the test, you can almost always piece it together based on your knowledge of the terms.

Just the highlight the importance, this is what will get you your result. What I did during my test preparation was explain (aloud) what each term meant, its' advantages and disadvantages, why we use it, or why we don't, port numbers for those that needed too. I made flashcards for each one I did not understand and reviewed them daily until I could do it. (This was after reading Gibson's book front to back).

Good luck, hopefully you can pass this time round.
  • techchanztechchanz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did you do?
    I passed!!!! finally with 840. I took this test 3 times no shame in that, the bad things is the money I spent. thanks everyone for the help
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sweet! Congrats! Passing my first certification exam gave me the confidence to continue with more advanced certifications. Keep on learning! What's next?
    gonna be learning ccna. thanks everyone
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!!!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • ephoria4uephoria4u Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • david757david757 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i took the cert today and missed 3 sims which made me fail. I had the sims but on the cert they added more to each sim i had. any information ?
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you mean they added more to each sim? Did you take the test before?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None