Passed the 802 today : )

averagejoeinVAaveragejoeinVA Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whatsup everybody, took some time away from the forums...started school again...blah blah blah. Anyways, I took the 802 today and passed...so I'm officially A+ certified so thats dope. I will say...I see what people meant by the clarity of some of the questions and simulations. Examcompass is great...but its downfall is the questions are well written and the intent is clear. Do NOT expect this when taking the 802...but if you prepped hard...you will pass.

Anyways, I have a dilemma on my hands. I'm want to start prepping for the Sec+ and Net + exams as the two classes i'm enrolled in this semester are TCP/IP and Cyber security fundamentals. The TCP/IP class should be a good spring board for my Net + studies so thats fine...but the text book for the cyber security fundamentals class is GSEC GIAC Security Essentials Certification Exam Guide which sort of has me in a quandary. From my 10 min google research...it appears the GSEC is far more in depth and valuable in the security field...but the Sec + is easier and more in line with entry level professionals (which I would be as I do not work in IT now).

Wanted to get some feedback from you all as to which would be the wise layup....GSEC or Sec +

Thanks

Average Joe in VA

Comments

• Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I sit for the 802 Friday. I definitely second that Examcompass is a great tool, and agree that the wording on the actual test is really poor.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would take the Security + exam only because it lays down the ground work for a solid foundation in the field. CompTIA exams, at least A+/Net+/Sec+ for the most, part are very broad in topics but shallow in depth. This is advantageous in that you'll be given a broader view and gain basic understanding in the intricacies of the subject. For instance, I took and passed my Net+ and since then when studying for my CCENT and CCNA I find myself having an easier time with understanding the mechanisms of how LANs, WANs, MANs, etc... and their network devices work in conjecture.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • averagejoeinVAaveragejoeinVA Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your test Mike. Definitely use all your time and go back and review your flagged questions. I found it helpful to roll through the questions flagging the ones I wasn't 100% positive on and leaving the rest un flagged i was dead nuts on. In the end I changed about 4 to 5 of my answers after reviewing with time on the clock and the pressure off. Remember...game the test ; )
  • averagejoeinVAaveragejoeinVA Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your insight Spiegel. I was already leaning towards Sec + but wanted to get input. Your logic makes sound sense.
    Yeah I finished the 801 with 30 minutes left on the test so I just went through the whole thing again. I'm looking forward to being done with the A+ and moving onto N+ and Sec+. I think I'll try and study both at the same time. I wanna knock out the trio quickly so I can get to work on the CCNA and CCNA:S
  • ezy20004ezy20004 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there simulations on the 801 exam?
    Yes, I believe all exams have sims.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on Sec+! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown