Newbie here looking for Networking info

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am very new here(Just made an account and found the site) and would like to progress in my career. Right now I am working as a desktop support which is pretty entry level and will have been here for 2 years in March. This is my first and only real IT job.

I was debating on which path I should take and decided to choose networking. I am wondering how often the network+ exam changes(Since this is a new year). The reason I ask this is because I was looking at this course below, and would you recommend the Mike Meyers Network+ course?

https://www.udemy.com/comptia-network-certification-n10-006-the-total-course/

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also wondering how long a person with no experience should study for?
  • twistedkarmatwistedkarma Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome!

I'll start by saying this - Based on what you've said and your current experience, I would recommend you begin with your CompTIA A+ Certification. This will allow you to reinforce what you currently know, no doubt teach you some new things and touch slightly on networking fundamentals. It should also give you the confidence to keep progressing in the pursuit of higher education.

As far as the Network+ certification is concerned..

CompTIA updates their exams in three-four year intervals. The latest update on the Network+ exam was released in 2015 (edited). If you begin studying now, you'll be preparing for the N10-006 (current version) and you'll have adequate time to do so.

Mike Meyers, in my opinion, is great! Especially for beginners attempting to get their feet wet. I would suggest purchasing his book to go along with his video course, as he has literally built this course off of it.

The price for that udemy course is a bit high. The same course can be found on Lynda.com (link below). I've personally watched this course from start to finish and was pleased with the amount of material he covered and the manor in which he did so. This is not to say this resource is the only one you should be using, because it's not. No one resource will be enough, unless you have prior knowledge and just need a refresher.

I've been an IT for a little over ten years. My networking experience never went beyond that of residential/consumer, so I was in a similar boat. I've been studying for a little over a month and I plan on taking the exam very soon. I'd say the average time someone will take to study falls between one to two months, but this is of course based on the individual.

Below is what I've used (and would recommend you, at the very least, look into) to study.

Mike Meyer's Book - CompTIA Network+ All-In-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Exam N10-006)
    Mike Meyer's Video Course - Network+ Tutorials | Lynda.com
    Professor Messer's Video Course - This is a great series to watch and, best of all, it's FREE!
    Professor Messer's Course Notes - These are amazing. He has summarized his video course into very detailed notes.
    CBT Nuggets Network+ Keith Barker - I had a subscription to this already, used only for subject reinforcement.
    Emmett Dulaney's Book (Exam Cram Network+) - This is the last reference material I will be using, waiting for it to arrive still :)

This list may seem like a lot, but I am someone who is aiming to retain as much as I can. I do not want to stop here, I am not looking to just get a passing grade, I want to further my education.

With that I say good luck to you! If you have any other questions, I'm sure someone here will have the answers!
  • TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great reply! Thanks for info. I'll definitely pick up the books and his course is on sale for $15 until tomorrow so I'll grab that too :)
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slight correction the N10-006 was released Feb 28th of 2015 so it should be current for a good while. I am/will be using the Sybex Todd Lammle N+ book. I've heard Lammle was a good person to learn how to Subnet from and he also offers CCNA and higher material.

As far as a time frame to learn in I think the most important thing to take away is that the N+ is the foundation of Networking. You need to understand the reasons why something works the way it does, instead of trying to cram it in a few weeks. It could take you 3 weeks to do this it could take you 6 months. Learning the material is the most important thing.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're on the right track TechnicalJay, but I have to agree that perhaps you should consider A+ first, given that your current experience will make the study time, ideally, a bit short, and you will learn a lot of reasons why and what you are doing on your current helpdesk gig. And A+ will cover some concepts you will build on in Net+. This isn't to say you couldn't go strait for Net+, but in addition taking Net+ will meet the CEU need for A+ if you take A+ first.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I used Examcram, Professor Messer videos, Examcompass practice tests.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • T-RAVT-RAV Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I am very new here(Just made an account and found the site) and would like to progress in my career. Right now I am working as a desktop support which is pretty entry level and will have been here for 2 years in March. This is my first and only real IT job.

I was debating on which path I should take and decided to choose networking. I am wondering how often the network+ exam changes(Since this is a new year). The reason I ask this is because I was looking at this course below, and would you recommend the Mike Meyers Network+ course?

https://www.udemy.com/comptia-network-certification-n10-006-the-total-course/

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I am also wondering how long a person with no experience should study for?

I am Help Desk with about the same experience as you. Ill be going on 2 years in September. As of last week I have my A+, Net+ and Sec+. each test took me about 2 months of study. If I studied everyday for a couple hours it could have been quicker (but i have kids so that didnt happen). I don't know your situation but if you have the time you can get the Net+ in under two months.

EDIT: the A+ did take longer than 2 months since it is 2 tests and so much to cover.

I used CBT nuggets (luckily paid for by work), Professor Messer and College resources such as UCertify.

I would suggest asking your work if they would reimburse you on any kind of study material such as the course above. A lot of places reimburse continued education. it doesnt hurt to ask.
  • T-RAVT-RAV Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    I used Examcram, Professor Messer videos, Examcompass practice tests.

+1 on examcompass. I wish I discovered that sooner. I found it the night before my Sec+. lol. looked good though.
  • bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I had zero experience and was able to gain my A+ in about 2 months. I studied pretty intensively (2+ hours a day) but I was unemployed so I was able to do so.

My N+ is taking a bit longer due to some major life changes that have interrupted it. I started my first help desk position in July so I have been able to supplement my studying with a tiny bit of networking. I get to play around in our switches occasionally, doing real basic things.

I am going to cut and paste a response I posted in another thread as it addresses your questions on study materials --

I have used Mike Meyers, Exam Cram, andAnd the Cert guide by Keith Barker and Kevin Wallace.

The cert guide is BY FAR my favorite. There are quizzes at the end of each chapter, real life scenarios, exercises and study guides at the back of the book, and has a corresponding lab/simulator that you can buy for around $40. It is easy to understand, and more succinct than Mike Meyers. The Mike Meyers book bored me to tears- he is very long winded. The book I have does not have vocab at the end of each chapter nor does it have study questions. IMO, I find the cert guide much more comprehensive.

Hope this helps!

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+