Options

Recommended Study Materials

Dan-in-MDDan-in-MD Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
(For the PMP)

In 2007 I bought a foot-tall stack of PMP study guide books including Rita Mulcahy's book, Andy Crowe, and others. My take away, I hated the Rita book--her negative, critical, arrogant, and condescending tone turned me off. Most books were so-so.

The best of the best: As a first read through the PMP content, use Head First PMP. It's fun, easy-to-read--did I say fun? I laughed out loud several times reading this book. Lots of cartoons. I say "first read" because I think it's a little light, but that's a good thing (to have an easier reading experience) if you're trying to get your head around some of the concepts.

As a second read, Andy Crowe's book is excellent. This could be your one-stop-shop for study, but I advocate a 2-pass approach through the PMBOK content to enhance retention. It includes amazing Velociteach multimedia and online training resources. An on-demand boot camp in a box. In the almost decade since, I'm sure they've gotten even better.

I passed the PMP in Feb of 2008 after about 6-8 weeks study that really became focused in the final few weeks.

BTW, get the PMBOK if you want it, but aside from the process chart page, I didn't see it as all that useful. Considering what we spend, they should send out the PMBOK to each new PMP along with their certificate.

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for the advice! I am reading the Head First PMP now. I was planning on reading Eileen Ellis' book PMP Exam Simplified, but I'll take a look at Any Crowe's book to see if it might be a better fit for me after Head First PMP.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework