Starting my journey to the PMP

Well I've decided it's time to knock out the PMP. I'm going to be moving to a new job dealing with cybersecurity problem management, and project management is a huge part of the role. Since I have an undergrad I qualify for the lower amount of required hours, and thankfully I can cobble together enough experience to be able to go for the PMP.

This type of material comes naturally to me and I have had some formal PM training back in like 2007. So far I've picked up Headfirst PMP, and the PMBOK 5e. I plan on reading through HFPMP first, utilizing the PMBOK where referenced or I need a further deep dive into a topic. I then plan on reading Aileen Ellis' PMP Exam Simplified, and then doing the 35 contact hours through PMstudy.com. I'm aiming to take the exam by the first week of April, if not earlier. I've not done a journal for any of my studies, but I plan on keeping a journal here, and will try to update it fairly regularly (thanks Bardlebee for the journal format). Any advice or thoughts are welcome.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    *Reserved*
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it very difficult, or just bloated with a lot of material to memorize?
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Well I've decided it's time to knock out the PMP. I'm going to be moving to a new job dealing with cybersecurity problem management, and project management is a huge part of the role. Since I have an undergrad I qualify for the lower amount of required hours, and thankfully I can cobble together enough experience to be able to go for the PMP.

This type of material comes naturally to me and I have had some formal PM training back in like 2007. So far I've picked up Headfirst PMP, and the PMBOK 5e. I plan on reading through HFPMP first, utilizing the PMBOK where referenced or I need a further deep dive into a topic. I then plan on reading Aileen Ellis' PMP Exam Simplified, and then doing the 35 contact hours through PMstudy.com. I'm aiming to take the exam by the first week of April, if not earlier. I've not done a journal for any of my studies, but I plan on keeping a journal here, and will try to update it fairly regularly (thanks Bardlebee for the journal format). Any advice or thoughts are welcome.

Skip the PMBOK and just use a good test engine like the PM Exam Simulator.
    Pass your PMP Exam!
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take a look on Rita-PMP® Exam Prep 8th Edition - Rita Mulcahy.pdf also.
  • soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck...it cannot be harder than that CISSP that you have!
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you need help on this? I just passed a week ago (second try). Here is what I recommend quickly.

1. Read PMP Head First (it's a super easy book to read. trust me, read it first)
    2. Order PMP big posters (it helps track of where you are)
    3. Lightly read RITA (I say this because her book is not that good. it helps, but it's better to read the PMBOK at this point)
    4. Read through PMBOK
    5. Sign up for PMP Prepcast (I hate paying for stuff, but this was truly worth it. get the engine and his videos. his questions have a same feel for the pmp exam, but harder. the format and syntax matched the exam, so you are less stressed. his answers tell where you are in the PMBOK and this is how you really start memorizing it.)

Do not:
    1. Make tons of flash cards
    2. Memorize all the ITTO's. I ignored this the first time and paid for it. Basically, you need to know where you are to answer the question, but vaguely know for familiarity.
    3. Ignore the PMBOK, but do not read it first. Once you read PMP head first or a little rita, the PMBOK is easy to remember
    4. Act like you know anything. Be humble, reset, and study

good luck!
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
    Thanks User2097! It's slow going on this, but still making my way through Head First PMP. I was thinking instead of RITA just going through the PMBOK after HFPMP. I've flipped through and read some of the PMBOK and it doesn't seem so bad. I will check out the PMP Prepcast. Also thanks for the tidbits on the flash cards and ITTOs. That should save me some time.
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No problem. Good luck. It really boils down to the PMBOK in the end. The materials just help you understand the PMBOK and give you perspective about the PMBOK.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well my plans to start studying for the PMP in January got derailed by my MSISA and I got into a super time crunch at the end of the term and had to put this off. I've just started studying again and have finished Chapter 1 of Head First PMP. I'm aiming to take this exam in June. I was able to register with PMI as a student so $45 for membership and local chapter dues is awesome!

4/14/2016

REVIEW NEEDED AFTER TODAY:
    None

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Head First PMP Chapter 1 2 hours
    Intro to PM
    Portfolio, Program, Project
    PMOs - Supportive, Controlling, Directive

Total Time: 2 hours

QUESTIONS/CONFUSION/CONCERNS:
    Controlling and directive PMOs have some similarities.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    This chapter is basically an intro and seemed easy.
  • coolkevincoolkevin Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck...it cannot be harder than that CISSP that you have!

I will agree with this. I thought the CISSP was about 2x more difficult than the PMP.

Good luck!