Options

IAPP - CIPP/IT Certification Renamed...

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just got a email about this:

"This spring we will be announcing the Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT) credential, which will replace CIPP/IT. More and more we have come to realize the significance of technology driving a culture of privacy within organizations. This name change represents the elevation of the CIPP/IT from a concentration within the CIPP program to its own recognized and respected credential.

Later this year we will be seeking ISO accreditation for the program, which means that the CIPT credential will have even greater value and recognition in the privacy field and beyond.

This name modification does not, in any way, change the designation you've earned. Even better, you will automatically become a CIPT; you don't need to re-test! Your CIPT credential will continue to serve as a demonstration of your understanding of privacy and data protection practices in the development, engineering, deployment and auditing of IT products and services, and will continue to be a significant distinguisher in the field."

The ISO accreditation is good as well. And admittedly, technology shouldn't be driving a culture of privacy - privacy should be driving technology.

Also, if you look at the CIPP/IT webpage - https://www.privacyassociation.org/certification/cipp_certification_programs/cipp_it - there is a blurb in the middle about a new textbook coming out in July, and the exams in June using the new body of knowledge.

How do I feel about there being a rename of this? Meh. It's OK. I've got the CIPM, CIPP/US, and CIPP/IT, so now that last would be CIPT. I don't have a strong opinion on it, other than it being a bit of a better distinguisher from the CIPP.

Comments

• Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Apologies for reviving an older post, but has anybody on here taken and passed the CIPT and have any feedback for us on it? Thanks.
  • Options
    lajtlajt Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm with bryanthetechie. Anyone taken the CIPT exam?
  • Options
    EasyPeezyEasyPeezy Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just registered on the site... I will be looking to do the CIPP/E or CIPM very soon...
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    funny, I was just looking at that site yesterday
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Me too... im still trying to understand how the entire process works and how to go about being certified.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    I ordered the primary books for the CIPP/US and CIPT exams from their website. There is a fair amount of overlap in the CIPT with Sec+, SSCP, etc. Also a fair amount of overlap for both exams with the CISSP. Overall they don't look particularly difficult. I'm concerned though that these books may be more exam cram style, and that there is more supplementary material that is needed. Anybody have experience with passing either of these exams that want to share? :)
  • Options
    I'm on the site looking for the books but seems like im going around in circles. Am I missing something here? Maybe its coffee time :)
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I've taken the exam. Did a detailed study of the official IAPP books that were recommended, and passed.
  • Options
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GoodBishop you're alive!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been yelling at ISACA and ISC2 for the past few months to come up with a privacy cert. A little better name-brand recognition, and to me it's the "next gen" of certs in that most other areas are covered by existing tests (technical, managerial, etc), but despite privacy being such a hot global topic for years past and years to come, the "big names" aren't selling any relevant certs.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the privacy world IAPP is very well known. It's a lot like OSCP, the people who need to know about it do and hire those with it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    In the privacy world IAPP is very well known. It's a lot like OSCP, the people who need to know about it do and hire those with it.

Agreed, agreed, but the privacy world of 2012 is a lot different than the privacy world of 2016. A lot more companies are jumping on the bandwagon and random Director of IT Bob may recognize ISC2 or ISACA vs IAPP
  • Options
    junaid375junaid375 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am confused between CIPT and CIPM, which one to go for ? I conduct IT security risk assessments. Controls in my assessment are based on ISO 27001, PCI-DSS, HIPAA etc and I also take notes/controls from local privacy laws of countries I work in (mainly Southeast Asia and ANZ region).

Which one is more relevant to me ? CIPT or CIPM ? My goal is to understand Privacy landscape.
  • Options
    sfportarosfportaro Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which books did you study? Was it for the CIPT?

Thanks,