GSEC Passed today!

phobicphobic Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I passed my GSEC today with an 82% in 4 hours 12 minutes. Not great, but better than I expected if I'm honest. It was better than I did on either practice exam though, so I was happy. My study habits weren't great, but I'd generally listened to the audio files on my way to and from work, an hour+ each way, and then indexed at night. I did this starting about a month before the exam. I had already re-read through the box, and studied a sec+ book in addition, before doing the indexing.

I printed my index and put it in a 3 ring binder and I wish I had it bound, like some of the other examples I've seen. It was a bit hard to flip through in the small testing space I was give. The space was enough, though as I could have books 1-3 on one side of the monitor and 4-6 on the other. It was less than my home, but not much. The space was very quiet and I also used ear plugs which were nice when random noised occurred.

I didn't find the clock or score jarring. I actually kind of like each of them. The score was encouraging and the clock reminded me to take my time, I had plenty of it.

If I found myself stuck on a questions for longer than I felt necessary I'd skip it. I ended up skipping 3 before my break and 2 after it. It was a bit annoying that I couldn't just skip all 5 to the end, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall I'm glad I did this. I took the class and didn't have to take the cert. I paid for the test, but my work paid for the class so I figured I might as well show them it wasn't a waste. Now that I passed maybe I'll try to expense it...

Comments

• SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Awesome, congratulations!!

Hopefully someday I will be able to get this cert.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phobic wrote: »
    If I found myself stuck on a questions for longer than I felt necessary I'd skip it. I ended up skipping 3 before my break and 2 after it.

My SANS instructor recommended not to skip any questions on the exam, so I didn't. I ran across a question I didn't know the answer to and it wasn't in my index so i guessed. Just so happened while looking up the answer a few questions later, I saw ran across the answer to the question I guess on, and saw I got it wrong. Kinda kick myself now for not skipping it.

Congratulations on the pass.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the hard work, and for taking the initiative to get certified even when you didn't have to!
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Infosec LadyInfosec Lady Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Can you please advise me on how to look up for answers very quickly?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats...I just passed the GCIH and plan on taking the GSEC next.
  • ansel1261ansel1261 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

Infosec Lady There are guides online for how to setup your GIAC materials for quick reference. Hacks4Pancakes has one such guide on her site found here.

Good luck!