Passed TSHOOT: CCNP R&S Achieved

koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys, I just got back from the testing center and happy to report that I passed with a 987/1000. This is the list of materials I used in my CCNP journey:

1. OCG Library
2. FLG Library
3. Simplified Library
4. How to Master Trilogy
5. 101 Labs for CCNP(GREAT book!)
6. Labs on GNS3Vault
7. Boson NetSim for CCNP
8. Boson practice exams

If I had to do it all over again I would not have bought the libraries. Why? While I read all 3 TSHOOT books, I don't think I got that much from them. That time would have probably been better spent on more labbing. So in other words, if you are just starting, buy the individual books as you go and not the whole library.

If you do decide to skip the TSHOOT texts and lab, definitely lab out the TSHOOT topology. Cisco publishes the topology freely for all to see(https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/6741-102-1-23100/TSHOOT%20Exam%20Topology.pdf) If you go into the exam without labbing this, you will waste a lot of time familiarizing yourself with it, so just do yourself a favor and set it up beforehand. I used IOU, but you can use VIRL as well if you use Ethernet interfaces instead of Serial.

Boson NetSim for CCNP was good, but very expensive. If money is an issue, you can skip it and just get the $10 101 Labs for CCNP Kindle. I can't say enough good things about this book. It got me very prepared for the exams.

How to Master by Rene Molenaar goes right into the meat and potatoes of the content. If you are looking to get caught up to speed rather quickly, you can start with this series. Plus, it has links to the GNS3Vault labs in the text.

Of all the texts, I think I liked FLG the best and OCG the least. If you are coming from Odom's CCNA OCG, prepare to be disappointed in the teaching quality of the OCG. I can't explain it, but the difference is evident. The best thing about the OCG in my opinion are the memory tables which I will use as review before interviews.

Okay so with all of that out of the way, what's next? I've gone back and forth on this and would like the forum's opinion. I would like to go for the CCIE R&S in the near future, but first I need an NP level job, and to do that I need to make myself more marketable. Plus Narbik is coming out with a new book intended for CCNPs who are about to start the CCIE journey. Basically it's bridge between the gap from the end of CCNP to the start of CCIE. So CCIE R&S is definitely going on the backburner.

I definitely want CCDA/CCDP since design interests me, but the new CCDA book isn't coming out till May, so I will put CCDA/CCDP on the backburner as well. The other track that really interests me is Service Provider, so I think I will do that next. I think I can knock out SPNGN1 and SPNGN2 at one month a pop, with SPROUTE.SPCORE and SPEDGE taking 2-3 months each, and SPADVROUTE 3-4 months. Does that sound reasonable? If all goes well, I'll have CCNP Service Provider by the end of this year.

What I keep going back and forth on though is whether or not I should tackle DC, Collaboration, and Security to the NA level first. I have more interest in SP, but I keep seeing Nexus and Voice in job descriptions. If I go down the CNNP SP track first, I'll be a CCNP R&S/SP who can't set up a basic VOIP phone or know much about Nexus. That kind of sucks. What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Comments

• gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Very nice score too btw.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I agree with your assessments of the prep materials as well. I actually will find myself in the same boat after passing NP. I however am dedicated to IE. I have plenty of books on my list I can pick up in the mean time while some other comes out.

Good luck with your future endeavors!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!!!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm now all but locked in on Service Provider. I will take a week off and then I'll hit SPNGN1 pretty hard. Should be mostly review. I wish I could go right into SPROUTE but oh well.
  • realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm now all but locked in on Service Provider. I will take a week off and then I'll hit SPNGN1 pretty hard. Should be mostly review. I wish I could go right into SPROUTE but oh well.

Well good luck on your next adventure.
  • DeyColeDeyCole Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »

Congrats on the pass!...and thanks for the information. With the knowledge obtained from Switch & Route, and studying the TSHOOT topology, would that have been enough to pass?

Are you currently working as a Net Admin? I think CCNA-Security and Collaboration would be nice additions after NP, then SP.
    Congrats on the pass!...and thanks for the information. With the knowledge obtained from Switch & Route, and studying the TSHOOT topology, would that have been enough to pass?

Yeah most definitely enough to pass. Especially if you lab with 101 Labs for CCNP you will be over-prepared.
    Are you currently working as a Net Admin? I think CCNA-Security and Collaboration would be nice additions after NP, then SP.

I have an NA level job. I need to upgrade it to an NP level though. I kind of decided on SP already but thank you for the input, it's a tough call. One thing I don't want to give up is my working from home. I also don't want to heavy air travel since I HATE flying. I basically try to knock myself out with some strong drinks but every "bump" I question my sanity for getting on an airplane to begin with. HATE it. So it's going to be rough I think icon_cool.gif
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats.. feels great right? Awesome news.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Congrats Koz. One more down many more to go, and thats how things go..!! Give your brain and body a beer :P (I personally dont drink lol) and relax for the week.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Thanks everyone! I'm now well into SPNGN1 and honestly, I'm rather annoyed that I have to take it and SPNGN2 because so far it has been 99% review. The only new things I've learned so far have been IOS XR which I've been playing with in VIRL, and the ME3400 switch and the different port types. This could have easily been placed in SPROUTE to be honest and, you really should be able to hop right into SPROUTE if you already have NP R&S. I've booked the SPNGN1 in a few weeks already.

EDIT: Though looking at the SPNGN2 blueprint now, there is some MPLS and IS-IS stuff in there. Maybe in the future they could merge these 2 exams into 1.
    Nans wrote: »
    Congrats Koz. One more down many more to go, and thats how things go..!! Give your brain and body a beer :P (I personally dont drink lol) and relax for the week.

I had to detox for a few days after I passed. I usually take the day of the exam off and I start celebrating the moment I get back icon_cool.gif
  • Rell24Rell24 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    koz24 congrats on the pass. I was wondering if you could do a review of the Boson NETSIM 10 for CCNP. I just recently finished my CCNA Security and was thinking about either doing CCNA Collaboration on starting my CCNP R/S but was trying to decide will I need a physical lab or will the Boson be enough.
    Rell24 wrote: »
    koz24 congrats on the pass. I was wondering if you could do a review of the Boson NETSIM 10 for CCNP. I just recently finished my CCNA Security and was thinking about either doing CCNA Collaboration on starting my CCNP R/S but was trying to decide will I need a physical lab or will the Boson be enough.

Boson will not be enough. It can't do a number of things most of the switch lab books have. Just think of Boson as a very expensive lab workbook.

The TSHOOT tickets in Boson NetSim for CCNP are convenient since you don't see the problem ahead of time. When using other guides like 101 labs for CCNP, you have to e-mail the author for the configs then find a way to paste them into your configs. Usually that involves changing interface #s and it's easy to look at the rest of the config.
  • Rell24Rell24 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks koz24. Sounds like physical lab then. Better to eventually move to CCIE studies!
    Rell24 wrote: »
    Thanks koz24. Sounds like physical lab then. Better to eventually move to CCIE studies!

Yeah, check out INE's recommended hardware guide so you can buy something future-proof.