3rd Attempt - Study Plan

djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm looking at early to mid Feb for my 3rd attempt.
My current study plan is:
1.read the new Sybex book - I'm on chapter 13 now.
2.take notes on Sybex book
3.review notes,
4.take all Sybex end of chapter review questions,
5.take all 4 sybex practice exams until scoring in the 80% range.
6. Watch Cybrary CISSP video.

I scored a 677 on my last attempt. My study plan then included going through complete CCCure quiz engine. I had scored in the low to mid 80's over all on that test engine.

Anything I'm leaving out? All thoughts and/or suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • hilldhilld Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think this has been beaten to death in here by now, but you need to have a management mindset in order to pass the exam. Answer the question like a manager would, while it might not be best technical answer, it strikes a balance of costs and solving the problem. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck.
  • djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I'll check out the McGraw-Hill quizzes too... and yes Manager, Manager, Manager. Have to keep that in the forefront of mind. Thank you!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you know the areas you are weak? A blanket approach is not always the best approach.
    1st attempt my order was:
    Security Engineering
    Identity and Access Management
    Communication and Network Security
    Software Development Security
    Asset Security
    Security and Risk Management
    Security Operations
    Security Assessment and Testing

2nd attempt my order was:
    Identity and Access Management
    Security Operations
    Security Engineering
    Security Assessment and TEsting
    Communication and Network Security
    Security and Risk Management
    Software Development Security
    Asset Security
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @=djasonslick

You only really need the Sybex book to pass the test. If you aren't scoring at least 85 on those 4 tests then take other tests. The biggest key to passing this exam is momentum. When you begin your test taking, ensure that you are doing them in a rhythm that helps you to retain info. Eg. if you take a test every 3 days leading up to your exam. Ensure that you are conducting light reviews each day. Another caveat is reading too many books. It will not yield best performance to pass the exam because of the angles offered by diff authors. Given that Sybex 7th is now the official edition. I would focus on all that info in that book and aim at getting at least an 80-90% to ensure that i'm ready for the exam. Don't go trying to take every and any quiz bank out there because you will probably be going to deep and the questions will not be set up as the official exam. The questions are based on the official guide with probably a slight twist that's all. Of course understanding and comprehension are extra keys combined with managerial thinking. If you follow Sybex's instructions, you'll pass, no other book is needed. Whether you pass high or low, doesn't matter. You'll learn more when you get on the job. The greatest key is that the challenge is completely mental. This is not a hard exam. The preconceived stigma for this exam makes it difficult placing mental blocks in your own mind hence affecting your performance. I know auditors and legal staff who have passed this exam. This exam is like CPA for professional seeking a career in the security industry. So go into the exam telling yourself "The exam is easy".
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Add transcender to your list. I had that the AIO total tester and CCCure.
    Thanks Bubble2005 for the input! Do you think taking the Sybex practice exams over and over repeatedly until scoring in the 80-90% range is appropriate/the way to go? I want to make sure I am understanding what I need to know and not just remembering the answer from previous practice attempts also.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE FROM PREVIOUS POST

No, taking it test over repeatedly may not be in your best interest hence the reason to take additional exam from other vendors of by the fourth you are not getting 80-90%. You don't want to remember answers. You want to remember the why of both right and wrong answers. But I'm sure after reviewing Sybex you will have a better understanding and able to match that score range or higher.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Add transcender to your list. I had that the AIO total tester and CCCure.

I used both and I felt Transcender prepared me better, I used a lot the flash cards to drill the domains, and tested only one domain at the time, one.

Also I never checked the answer I failed on Transcender because I would memorize the exam and that will not help.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks Bubble2005 for the input! Do you think taking the Sybex practice exams over and over repeatedly until scoring in the 80-90% range is appropriate/the way to go? I want to make sure I am understanding what I need to know and not just remembering the answer from previous practice attempts also.

I'm with bubble, no point in taking the same test over and over until you get a higher score, all you're doing is memorizing answers (that aren't on the test) at that point. When I start to recognize a bunch of questions on a quiz engine it's time for me to stop using that quiz engine.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I use engines, I only do rounds of about 5-10 questions usually to start or end my study sessions. That way you are forced to concentrate closely and then when you are close you can ramp up the volume.
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    You might want to try and look at the McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams

+1 The best practice test resource IMO.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I highly suggest dropping CCCure.
    +1 for McGraw Hill (Which is free) and Transcender.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    When I use engines, I only do rounds of about 5-10 questions usually to start or end my study sessions. That way you are forced to concentrate closely and then when you are close you can ramp up the volume.

I like this idea too - I did rounds of 10-15 on CCCure so I could really focus on the concepts
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • rborsholmrborsholm Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like Expect says above.

I highly suggest dropping CCCure.
    +1 for McGraw Hill (Which is free)

CCCure is a bit of a mess - I heard from them they are rewriting the website and doing no new development or bug fixes to the old one. One thing that irritated me was that the graphs no longer work so I was keeping a record of my tests in an Excel spreadsheet to track my progress.

One thing about McGraw Hill - more than a few of the questions are right out of the Shon Harris material. I basically just studied the Shon Harris book and did practice exams from McGraw Hill and cccure. Passed on my first try.
  • nothing007nothing007 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Bubble2005, Are you suggesting Sybex book based on your exam experience or ..!??
    Well i just scheduled a few minutes ago for February 15th.
    I hope I didn't jump the gun. My goal was mid February and I liked the 10 am time slot. Also an hour away from home so not too far.
    I finished the sybex book yesterday. Today I'm starting the flash cards.
    Going to start the (4) Sybex exams after I finish with the flash cards and watch Cybrary videos.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep going, you will pass it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    [@=rborsholm

When did you take exam? (Before or after 4/2015 change?)
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All emphasis is given on study materials. People have to realize that taking an exam like the CISSP is not only about what materials you use, it's also about focus and relaxation. You need to learn some test taking techiques like pacing yourself, going through a simulation exam, sitting at home for 4 hours taking a test or speed in which you answer your questions, eliminating answers based on common sense and deducing correct answers based on context even if you don't remember seeing such material. Even breaks matter, dont take the exam without breaks. You will lose focus. Make sure you eat something that will increase your blood sugar or protein etc, the brain needs energy to function properly.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=djasonslick

I know they told us, but does the order go from best to worst? or is it worst to best on the domains? If best to worst, then one of the heavier weighted domains (Security and Risk Management) was consistently near the bottom of your performance in both, focus more studying on governance and risk (being a GRC guy with a lot of experience in BC/DR I am sure was what pushed me over the top the 1st time). Just because there are 8 domains doesnt mean they are all weighted the same.

I am sure 3rd time will be the charm
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    And again as others have said, memorizing the questions by repeatedly taking the same questions over and over does no good. Identify the areas you were the weakest in and focus the majority of your study efforts on those areas.

When I was taking practice tests, I would go through the ones I missed and copy those with the reason each was right or wrong into a bound notebook. The notebook was a key part of my studying, re-read a couple times and re-took a practice exam and repeat. by doing this you will see trends (gaps) to focus heavier on in your studying
    It's actually worst (top) to best(bottom)
    cledford3 wrote: »
    When did you take exam? (Before or after 4/2015 change?)

June 2015 and September 2015
    So I decided to run through the McGraw Hill quizzes before I do the Sybex exams.
    So far I've done 4 of the 10 domains and I've scored:
    90% Access Control
    82% Continuity Planning
    70% Cryptography
    54% Security Architecture & Design - uggggh. Can anybody tell me which of the new 8 domains this old domain name equates to?

I think I may have found a definite weak spot.
  • PC TechPC Tech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    djasonslick- The Security Architecture & Design in the 10 domains aligns with Security Assessment and Testing & the Security Engineering in the 8 domains. The Sybex official study guide looks like a great resource. Good luck and please update this thread after taking the test.
    So I decided to run through the McGraw Hill quizzes before I do the Sybex exams.
    So far I've done 4 of the 10 domains and I've scored:
    90% Access Control
    82% Continuity Planning
    70% Cryptography
    54% Security Architecture & Design - uggggh. Can anybody tell me which of the new 8 domains this old domain name equates to?

I think I may have found a definite weak spot.

Looking at your score breakdown (exams not practice) looks like Identity and Access Management is definitely a weaker domain? Definitely hit it hard as it was one of the higher weighted domains ( along with Risk ans BC[now in operations]).

Looking at your practice scores above, you are definitely trending the right direction :) Keep at it and dont get discouraged
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE FROM PREVIOUS POST

Thanks!
    That is a little confusing actually. It was reported on post exam print out that Identity and Access Management was a weaker/poorest performing domain but I feel like it's not really and then I score a 90% on the McGraw Hill quiz.
    PC Tech wrote: »
    djasonslick- The Security Architecture & Design in the 10 domains aligns with Security Assessment and Testing & the Security Engineering in the 8 domains. The Sybex official study guide looks like a great resource. Good luck and please update this thread after taking the test.

Thank you! I will definitely report back.