1st attempted @ CISSP, Fail 668 :(

PC TechPC Tech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
First and foremost thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum.

Background: BA in Computer Information System, CompTIA A+, Net+ and Sec+ around 6 years working in InfoSec; includes about 5 years as a Sysadmin for Cross Domain System and over 1 year as a Information Assurance Eng performing IAVM/STIG scan/analysis, patch management and maintenance of C&A documentation for a production environment. Also 4 years of regular IT (Computer Tech repair shop and small office networks)

Study: On and off for about 6 months+ serious the last month and half.
Eric Conrad 2nd Edition (almost cover to cover)
Shon Harris video (converted to audio)
Kelly Handerhan Cybrary videos
My approach was listen to Shon audio while working/commuting and read the Eric book after work.

Practice Test:
CCCure paid 1 month, did around 700+ question (surprisingly my overall average score (69%) aligns with my CISSP score) (Just an observation from my part)
Eric Conrad book questions
Also some provided questions from the Shon book

Exam Day:
Didn't knew what to expect after all the reading/research. This was true the day of the exam, it was scheduled for Saturday @ 8am. Woke-up around 3:30 then again 4:30, and finally 5:30 you can say I was nervous going in as reality sink knowing it's test day. Got to the Test Center, check-in and was provided a set of ear plugs, there was construction going on the building (Great). Started the test around 8:15 and felt comfortable as I read the first couple of questions. Around question 75-80 I had planned to take a break as I did 2 (100) CCCure test the week prior and felt this was a stopping point as I was getting mentally fatigue. Since I was concern with time I decided to push up to Q-125. I was told the timer continues when you're on break by a fellow tester, even after taking the test I'm not sure this is true. After the short break I push forward to the last question before taking another break a little over 4 hours with over 40+ questions marked. Rush thru the break and decided to review not just marked questions but all since had over an hour and half left. After going thru the first 50 questions changed 4 I was too exhausted and my mind started playing tricks of its own. I started to think what if I change something and then fail, after all this is a known fact. I decided to stop the review without completing it and around an hour left. I read the words Congratulations! there was still hope only to see the words for finishing the CISSP test right after icon_sad.gif The lady had the printout and I saw the 2 sheets, I knew what this meant. I felt defeated! Had a late lunch with the gf and slept the remainder of the day.

Advise:
Make sure you're well rested, take the necessary breaks, do a couple of practice test preferable 250 questions a week or 2 prior. (Go to a library or somewhere you're not used to) and review ALL your flag question during test. Read the pass thread, even though I didn't pass I didn't felt the test was too difficult. I was more exhausted, uncomfortable and hungry than anything else.

Path forward:
I already got the Sybex (ISC)2 official study guide (7th edition)
Will purchase 3 months of the CCCure access
Try again in 2-3 months.

It has been an awesome experience!

-CG

Comments

• TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Sorry to hear that, good write up. I'm sure you'll nail it next time :)
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry about this, I will suggest take a break and re-group yourself. Focus on your weak domains and also dont lose sight of your strong domains. You will sure pass the next time.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good write up! Good luck on your next attempt!
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the write-up! Good luck for next time.
  • Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the Sybex book will help you a lot. I like your game plan for the next attempt.

I'll be taking it for the first time right about the time of your re-test.

Thanks for the excellent write-up and best of luck next time.
  • jkathereshjkatheresh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best wishes to your next attempt.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bummer on the fail man. I hope you can get back in the swing of things and knock the test out of the park. Don't worry too much about changing the answers. When I reviewed the ones I had flagged, I ended up changing 11 of them.

Just remember to read the question carefully. I do have some advice. Before you read each question, read the answers first. That way when you go back and read the question, you may have the answer pop into your head. Also look for Adjectives and Adverbs. Sometimes they will disqualify one or more of the answers... Keywords like Best, Least, Most Likely and External, Internal, Physical, Administrative and what have you.

Highly recommend the Sybex Book, the Cybrary.it Videos (FREE), the (ISC)2 Quizlet Flash Cards (Also Free) and the Combined Notes.

The notes can be found here on this forum. Just search for Combined Notes.

Good Luck!
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I am really sorry you failed but, on the bright side, look at all the knowledge you have gained (which I am sure you have) that you will be able to apply in your current role. A certification is nice, but the journey is the most important part.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll nail it next time!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually, this should be good news as you can clearly come away from this that your scores from CCCURE aligns with your actual test scores. I would go back in 5 weeks of CCCURE committed work with a positive care free attitude.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear, but hang in there, your next one should be golden :)
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to read about this. Is 8 am the only available start exam time? Why not do it on a weekday?

When I took my exam last year, I chose 11am. Was able to do a morning quick read through and had brunch before starting. The exam center allowed us to buy coffee from vending machines during our breaks. At least you will not feel hungry and tired that easily.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PC Tech wrote: »
    Advise:
    Make sure you're well rested, take the necessary breaks, do a couple of practice test preferable 250 questions a week or 2 prior. (Go to a library or somewhere you're not used to) and review ALL your flag question during test. Read the pass thread, even though I didn't pass I didn't felt the test was too difficult. I was more exhausted, uncomfortable and hungry than anything else.
    The clock indeed does keep running if you take a break. You have up to six hours from start to finish regardless if you take a break or several. Frankly, that isn't that big of a deal but don't burn through an hour on break...probably 10-15min max per break.

I am actually not a fan of taking a large amount of practice questions. Although it is a good idea to build up your stamina for the exam, I personally found it easier to concentrate and digest questions in smaller portions, which is the same strategy I used on my exam.

Additionally, start reviewing your flagged answers and finish those first. If you really want to go back through all the questions, that should be the last step...although I don't recommend that as you are likely to change more answers.

As for the difficulty...are there difficult concepts in the CBK? Absolutely, but the exam is "a mile wide and an inch deep". As a manager you won't have to know the algorithm for a type of encryption...but you might have to be aware of the types. I remember studying for the exam and it was definitely somewhat challenging to balance the technical and management side of things at first, but the more you analyze questions and feel comfortable with the material...it really isn't that bad.

Don't be discouraged on the fail...many people fail at least once. Now you know what to expect and hopefully next time you get a good night sleep, take breaks, and walkout of the testing center clicking your heels!
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Sorry to read about this. Is 8 am the only available start exam time? Why not do it on a weekday?

When I took my exam last year, I chose 11am. Was able to do a morning quick read through and had brunch before starting. The exam center allowed us to buy coffee from vending machines during our breaks. At least you will not feel hungry and tired that easily.

For me, there is only one test center in the territory. They only have CISSP exams a few days per month, and CISSP exams must start at 9am on any available test day, though they seem to be a bit lenient on punctuality and can accommodate provided you are neither very early nor very late. I left home at around 6:40am (had breakfast beforehand) and arrived at test center around 8:30am, and they allowed me to take the test earlier. I spent 5.5 hours and finished at around 2pm (fortunately, restaurant available downstairs so tea time immediately after I passed the exam).
  • nothing007nothing007 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PC Tech,
    Instead of sorry to say your failing.. Please dig why u got failed.... where you missing... why you cant make it... I hope there is lot of cissp professional who can assist how to approach this exam.

I have recently posted " Why most of them fail CISSP exam? " Please go through ... i expect most of the CISSP professional will post their REAL thoughts and Idea.
    [h=2][/h]
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PC Tech wrote: »
    Woke-up around 3:30 then again 4:30, and finally 5:30 you can say I was nervous going in as reality sink knowing it's test day.

Read the pass thread, even though I didn't pass I didn't felt the test was too difficult. I was more exhausted, uncomfortable and hungry than anything else.
    @PC Tech, guess the key reason are as you mentioned insufficient rest and low sugar level.

You are almost there. Hope to see your "I passed" forum post next time.