Options

After ITIL Foundation

theflythefly Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently passed 2011 Foundation and was wondering if someone could recommend books for the intermediate ITIL? For both paths?
I self studied for the foundation but I think I might need to take course or get a book.

Can anyone recommend?

Ben

Comments

• Options
    mikelau13mikelau13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have no recommendation about what book is good, but I have the what are bad.

- don't trust the handbook
    - ITIL v3 Intermediate Certification Kit - RCV by Tim and other 2 authors is weak

Unless you have on-hand ITIL working experience, otherwise I do recommend you to take a classroom course.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Ben

At the intermediate level you do need to take an accredited course for an ATO or accredited training organisation. This can be in a classroom, online or as part of a blended solution. Your training provider should give you everything you need so it's worth taking a look before you invest in any extra books.

Claire
  • Options
    shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire

I gave the ITIL Foundation exam this afternoon and I got 24 , 60% ....with only 2 marks i failed. I read over a month and use your Life cycle essentials ,lots of Android App , practicequiz.com , quizlet some other practice exam as well. But I dinot get a luck this time.
    I bought online training with exam from Thoughrock $ 250 Loyalist exam.
    I dont want to spend more money as they again charge $250 for the exam. Kindly can you tell me which is the lower price....Or any exam Vouchers .... where i can give the exam again. and any other guide line to pass this time please.

Regards
    shaz
  • Options
    Hi shaz

I'm sorry to hear you weren't successful in your exam, but it's good news that you were so close to a pass. If you've purchased online training from Thoughtrock do they not provide you with any tutor support? My understanding is that all accredited training providers must provide access to a tutor or facilitator so they should be able to give you guidance based on your post exam report.

The exam price does vary slightly but I believe $250 is fairly common in the market and I'm not sure if you'll be able to find it more cheaply. My organisation only charges $199 for the exam, but we're only allowed to sell it to people who've purchased our training so you would also have to spend the $229 Foundation course fee as well.

The recent ITIL exam price increases have made it more expensive to take a re-sit, and anyone looking at the Foundation qualification needs to balance what they pay preparing for the exam with the potential cost of re-sitting it.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Shaz

The best study tip I can offer you is to focus on understanding the material, not memorising sample questions. If you can understand the ideas then you'll find the questions much simpler.

Your exam report has shown you the areas you're weaker, so use the syllabus document (available from the ITIL Official Site) and my book to focus in on those areas. When you get sample exam questions wrong, ask yourself why rather than just memorising the correct answer.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    theflythefly Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. My position is Servicedesk Manager so I was wondering what the best of should I say most appropriate:

This?

Service Strategy

Service Design
    Service Transition
    Service Operation
    Continual Service Improvement

I reckon I should take each one in order i.e Service Strategy as the first one?
  • Options
    HI Claire

I passed the ITIL Foundation with 39 / 40 :D . I am so happy and I read all your book from front page to the last.
    I would appreciate if you guide me to the ITIL expert level. For the intermediate i would like to know which study material is useful and how much the exam fee for all the exam till getting 22 credit.

what is the difference between Lifecycle vs capability. please explain I am really looking to start as i can.

Regards
  • Options
    Hi shazb

Congratulations! Wonderful news, and what a great result icon_smile.gif

If you want to achieve ITIL expert next you'll need to look for an accredited training provider - either classroom, blended/virtual or online. Fees will vary depending on which type of training you choose and which provider you choose so evaluate carefully.

Simply put, the lifecycle track is suitable for those who manage and implement processes and the capability track is suitable for those who work with processes on a day to day basis.

Please feel free to DM me if you have questions but be aware I'll have no access to email for the next week so I may not be able to respond quickly.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire

I have a question for further taking ITIL Intermediate LifeCycle exams. Is there If I can buy the Official books to preparing ITIL Intermediate Lifecycle, SS,SO,SD,ST,CSI ( selfstudying ) exam from Amazon. And when I am ready I can go through EXIN.com for the certification exams.
    Please advise me
    Regards
    Shaz
  • Options
    Hi Shaz

The ITIL scheme doesn't allow self-study at the intermediate level. You'll need to take an accredited course, either online, virtually or in a classroom.

Kind regards

Claire