Resume advice for entry level developer

ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
I'm at the point where I need to create a resume. I have no professional software development experience, only what I've done with WGU. I did start a github recently and know I should work hard on adding and completing projects to show off what I can do. I'm looking for any development work, or really anything SDLC related. I'd love to find a place that mentors junior developers and offers room to advance. Am I dreaming?

Should I include unrelated pre-degree job experience? Most recently I delivered flowers, and before that, a few years of home improvement contracting with my brother. In the distant past I was a showroom manager for a shower door company, and before that, several years as a custom picture framer. I am great with customers and have good creative design skills, but I'm not sure employers will want to see that sort of thing on an entry level developer resume.

I was poking around for a template, and this one looks ok to me, but I don't know much about resumes. Thoughts? Sample Resume for an Entry-Level Software Engineer

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the sample. If I were reviewing a resume for an entry level developer, I would not be concerned with unrelated pre-education work experience. If the question came up in an interview the answer 'odd jobs like flower delivery' would be acceptable to me.

For sure there are places that will take on fresh grads and help them learn! I would advise you to lean on what you learned in school and present your desire to learn and grow your skills as a developer. Between that, your education and certifications you should be able to land an entry gig.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Is this (attached resume) terrible? Should I mention that I'm going to be going for more degrees in software development and accounting or business management? If so, where? Should I try to fill the whole page? Anything else I should fix?

Thanks!

edt: Hmm, one more thing: I live in Hartford, CT. I like it here, but there's a stigma attached to the city. Should I use an alternate (moms) address in a nicer suburb? Are employers gonna care where I live?

ratbuddy.doc
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like this format a lot - nice work! I can quickly assess what you have done and your education. I especially like the project scope for your capstone.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.