Options

Yet another Job related question....

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hi Guys,

I'm probably going to be moving on before December since I doubt my boss will give me a raise and since were outsourcing IT to a well-known company that is partnered with Dell I see my roles diminishing quite rapidly. I will really hate being a non-hands on desk monkey real quick; I'm extremely hands-on. Plus August with 3 1/2 years so I think I've learned enough for another gig; what do you guys think?

Basically I saw this job listing and I feel it's right up my alley but the only thing I'm weak on since I'm current studying for the CCENT/CCNA is well Cisco stuff. I understand networking pretty well even before I took CCENT since I did CCNA back in 2005 but let it expire so the past 3 years it's all come back to me. I just don't have a certification to back it. Plans are to get my CCNA by December that's my goal. Also in August I'll be doing the Stanly class so if I get VCP 5.5 and CCNA I think I'd be way more credible in the Tr-State NYC area.

One more question since this will my 1st job search since being hired 3+ years ago; will the new employer contact my current employer or not really?

Here is the listing:

 Assist IT Team in providing end-user support for all employees, resolving technical issues and providing technical assistance for both Windows and Mac environments in local office and remote branches.
 Assist IT Team in providing remote support to remote end-users through phone and remote support
 Assist IT Team in providing end-user support for smart phone devices to include Android, iPhone & Windows Mobile
 Assist IT Team in the Set up new employees with equipment and appropriate access and help familiarize/train them with systems, etc...
 Quickly identify and escalate issues as appropriate
 Assist IT Team in providing support for network printers and other IT related hardware including server room equipment
 Support and maintain business software applications and Rental Group ERP systems
 Support and maintain Cisco switches and firewalls
 Support and maintain servers, backup systems and physical server equipment
 Support and maintain Microsoft SharePoint system
 Support and maintain LAN / WAN connectivity
 Develops annual technology goals and detailed plans for goal accomplishment
 Keeps CIO well-informed of activities and recommends corrective actions

Qualifications/Required Skills
 Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or related area from an accredited institution required
 5+ years of experience in IT support required
 Professional certification preferred. Comp TIA certifications: A+, Network+, Security +
 Microsoft Certified Information Technology Knowledge and strong experience with Cisco networking equipment necessary
 Thorough knowledge of and experience with: LAN/WAN/WLAN technologies; VLANS; Windows Server Environment; Microsoft Hyper-V; VMWare; Microsoft SQL Server; Oracle; Microsoft Exchange; Internet Information Services; backup systems; network/workstation peripherals; print servers; firewalls, spam & antivirus hardware/software; VBScript, HTML required
 Strong server software and hardware troubleshooting
 Detailed knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite
 Microsoft SharePoint administration and development knowledge necessary
 Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (English) with staff. Spanish speaking a plus
 Must have strong customer service skills
 Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail required
 Must be able to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced work environment
 SAP experience strongly preferred
 Demonstrates attention to detail and identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
 Gathers and analyses information skillfully and displays critical and creative thinking
 Some travel required

Here is my Resume with some information changed: (formatting below is off a bit so don't take it space-for-space)

Thanks for your feedback!!!!!

[FONT=Garamond, serif]John Doe[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Address here • City somewhere 90000[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]888.888.8888 • some@one.com [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]System Administrator[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Accomplished, hands-on technical professional with extensive background guiding IT operations and leading network infrastructure design, deployment, and support activities. Strategic problem solver; can diagnose/resolve complex hardware and software issues. Proven experience leading projects through their entire lifecycle.[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Seeking a challenging position where I can use my people and technology management skills to help an organization maximize its return on IT and infrastructure investments.[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Core competencies include:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]Team Leadership[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Technology Integration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]System/Network Security[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]IT Operations Management[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]Systems/Server Migrations[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Technical Support[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]Network Design[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Network Administration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Project Management[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Professional Experience[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Current Company[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif][/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]– Tiny Island, Pluto[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] Aug 2011–Present[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Manufacturer of ice boxes with 400 employees across 5 moons and $300M in annual revenue.[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]IT Manager[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Lead team of 6 technical professionals in all aspects of IT and telecommunications operations. Direct design, implementation, and management of network infrastructure, including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, access points, workstations, laptops, and thin clients. Oversee network performance monitoring. Craft IT strategies and identify improvement opportunities. Establish relationships with technology and telecommunications vendors. Coordinate all project lifecycle phases, including project planning, scheduling, scope development, and deliverables.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Orchestrated IT infrastructure design and build out of 520Kft[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] super facility in Tiny Island, Pluto to enable consolidation of 4 manufacturing sites. Managed $250K budget to procure hardware, establish secure enterprise connectivity, implement telephony platforms, offer wireless capabilities, upgrade all servers and workstations, and integrate all business systems from sales order processing and production scheduling to billing and order fulfillment with a SQL Server and Linux back-end.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Transformed company from a Wyse terminal environment into one with an up-to-date infrastructure.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Designed network architecture to interconnect 5 locations with servers, voice systems, and security solutions that earned an uptime performance record of over 98%.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Designed and led development and deployment of a network from scratch, and migration to updated Windows environments with IP address/subnet schemes for 7 vLANs restricted to specific device vendors.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Captured 15% in communications cost savings while increasing data and voice bandwidth by 50% through negotiation of Fiber/T1 and Voice contracts.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Coordinated research, selection, and implementation of a VoIP telephony system, physical security and surveillance systems, and video conferencing solutions.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Created and directed layout design for Cat6 and fiber cabling of new manufacturing facility.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Garamond, serif]Led Disaster Recovery of our Corporate Location in out Lunar Base following Hurricane Ice-storm that caused $3.5 Million in damages with a less than 72 hour turn-around to fully restore network operations.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]Devised robust data backup and recovery strategy with redundant SANs and failover architecture that led to zero business disruptions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]John Doe[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Page Two[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif][/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]888.888.8888 • some@one.com[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Education & Credentials[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Western Governors University – Currently Attending[/FONT]
[h=2][FONT=Garamond, serif]Bachelor of Science Information Technology—Security – [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]Salt Lake City, UT[/FONT][/h]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Stanly Community College – Currently enrolled for Aug to Sept 2014 Class [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]VMware vSphere 5.1/5.5: Install, Configure, Manage[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] – Locust, NC[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, serif]Some College - Graduated 1900
A.S. Computer Information Systems
[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] – Anchorage, AK [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Linkedin: [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]http://www.espn.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Current Certifications:[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]CompTIA A+, Network +, and Security +, VCA-DCV[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Certifications Underway:[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, serif]CCENT/CCNA, MCSA, VCP 5.5[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Select Technical Proficiencies[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Platforms:[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Microsoft Windows, Windows Server, Apple OS X, Linux[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Tools:[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Microsoft Exchange Server, SQL Server, Terminal Server, System Center Essentials, Microsoft Office Suite, Teamviewer, Kaseya, Sonicwall, Barracuda, Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Ghost, Tiny Term, [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Hardware:[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Access Points, Servers, Workstations, Printers, PBXs, Cabling[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Networking:[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SNMP, FTP, vLAN, NAT, VPN, Active Directory[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Vendors:[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Cisco, HP, Microsoft, Kyocera, Xerox, Dell, Apple[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond, serif]Professional References[/FONT]

• [FONT=Garamond, serif]3 references go here[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    wow I've submitted to 15+ jobs in the area and I've received 8 call backs today for phone interviews.....

I geuss my working skillsets are more needed that I thought; it's quite refreshing to say the least. Most of them being Network Administration and/or System Administration and a few IT Manager/Director postions.
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    8/15+ is damned good! I was amazed at getting 2-4 call backs a week before I accepted my current position (need to update my LinkedIn, come to think of it).
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    8/15+ is damned good! I was amazed at getting 2-4 call backs a week before I accepted my current position (need to update my LinkedIn, come to think of it).

Me too! - every job posting I just applied to in the past 6 hours da-boot. - I guess my JOAT's skill-sets are needed. Managing multiple sites with multiple AD domains is going to come in handy. I'm just not Microsoft Certified but I know how everything works.

A big thing to me that all 8 of them agreed is that continued education is important; since my current job doesn't see my technical growth as important and learning is critical to me. so that's been one thing I've asked to them all and they like this a lot! - I guess now I just have to feel the chemistry of the jobs to see if they fit for me.

by goal is to move on by the 1st or 2nd week of July.
  • Options
    Dude, that's exactly what I'm doing at work right now: studying for the ICND2 exam I have scheduled for Sunday. I've had my Todd Lammle R&S study guide out all day on my desk, and I've been tootling around in Packet Tracer along with each chapter. One of the VPs of the company (my boss' boss) was visiting the office and hanging out all day, and I was worried he'd say something about having my head in the book most of the day (slow day, and I'm still new so I don't have much workload yet). He didn't say crapicon_study.gif

I started this job (Network Support Engineer) exactly 2 weeks ago after interviewing for the position a month before then (around the beginning of May). I originally applied for the position after finding it on Craigslist. The list of qualifications/experience/education were mostly over what I currently have (called for a Bachelors; I have an Associates, but I'm working on my BS in IT from WGU. Called for 2-3 years of experience; I didn't have any professional experience, whatsoever, in a production environment. Called for at least a CCNA/JNCIA/MCSA; I didn't obtain even the CCENT until 10 days after the interview, and I don't have anything to do with Juniper or MS yet).

Anyway, I sent my resume in anyway due to the fact that the TE forums encourage this so much (for good reason, too!). A day later, I get an email from the Director of Managed Services from the company to schedule an interview with him, the Sr. Network Support Engineer and the Sr. Systems Engineer. I get excited, but realize that I've never been in an interview with more than one person before and never with these types of people. I come in for the interview and it went way better than I expected it to be. I was super honest about my glaring lack of experience in the field, but I emphasized the fact that I was familiar with many of the technologies I would be working with due to my college classes. The Director knew of WGU and was very open to the fact that I would be continuing my education and bolstering my experience with certifications. The Network dude was gracious enough to laugh at my self-deprecating humor about being super green with networking and told me, "Don't worry! When I started here, I had only worked at a call center before and didn't know anything about networking. You'll learn!". The Systems guy seemed to be somewhat annoyed at the fact that I wasn't well-versed in storage technology and virtualization (I did let him know that I had set up VMs using Hyper-V, VirtualBox, VMWare Workstation and Citrix in a lab environment, though). The interview ended with them seeming satisfied enough and me feeling that I might actually get the job.

Fast-forward a month later (after the Director emailed me a week after the interview to let me know they were still interviewing for the position), I get a call from the Director while literally driving to another interview for a regular helpdesk position saying that if I was still interested in the position, that he'd have the offer letter emailed to me that night. I tried to contain my excitement, but almost drove into another car doing a dorky happy dance in my car. I said 'yes', of course. Took week for me to actually come in to the office and start, but they're actually going to pay me for the days leading up to my first actual day and the official start date in the offer letter (2 days before I started).

This is the first job where I'm paid salary instead of hourly, and it's the most I've ever been paid. Period. I'm still kind of in shock, and I'm getting used to not having to go to lunch at a certain time and, whenever it's not busy, to get my ass up and take a break from the computer screen/phone for a bit without having to worry about being monitored or clocking in/out. Everything I've learned from my college classes (community college to WGU) and everything I've studied for certifications (except those idiotic CIW certs) is phenomenally relevant now. It's refreshing to know that being able to understand subnetting like the back of my hand was not only relevant for the ICND1 but also for my job. Logging into a switch, router, ASA, etc. and knowing how to troubleshoot (show commands, etc.) is now extremely important and plays a huge role in what I'm doing/learning.

Whoa! I just realized I'm rambling like an idiot. My point is, you've got much more experience than I do, and if you want to get into networking then you will get a networking gig in no time with that experience and obvious desire to keep learning (all that stuff you're reading right now for the CCENT is awesome and immmmmpppppooooorrrrtant!). You've also got that VCA! That's going to help a lot, obviously. I want to dive into that side of things and pursue the VMWare certs, but I can't at the moment due to WGU and the fact that I have to jump over to Microsoft land (MCSA, woohoo...) after the CCNA. Anyway, good luck and choose wisely. You've got the upper hand it looks like!
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    Dude, that's exactly what I'm doing at work right now: studying for the ICND2 exam I have scheduled for Sunday. I've had my Todd Lammle R&S study guide out all day on my desk, and I've been tootling around in Packet Tracer along with each chapter. One of the VPs of the company (my boss' boss) was visiting the office and hanging out all day, and I was worried he'd say something about having my head in the book most of the day (slow day, and I'm still new so I don't have much workload yet). He didn't say crapicon_study.gif

I started this job (Network Support Engineer) exactly 2 weeks ago after interviewing for the position a month before then (around the beginning of May). I originally applied for the position after finding it on Craigslist. The list of qualifications/experience/education were mostly over what I currently have (called for a Bachelors; I have an Associates, but I'm working on my BS in IT from WGU. Called for 2-3 years of experience; I didn't have any professional experience, whatsoever, in a production environment. Called for at least a CCNA/JNCIA/MCSA; I didn't obtain even the CCENT until 10 days after the interview, and I don't have anything to do with Juniper or MS yet).

Anyway, I sent my resume in anyway due to the fact that the TE forums encourage this so much (for good reason, too!). A day later, I get an email from the Director of Managed Services from the company to schedule an interview with him, the Sr. Network Support Engineer and the Sr. Systems Engineer. I get excited, but realize that I've never been in an interview with more than one person before and never with these types of people. I come in for the interview and it went way better than I expected it to be. I was super honest about my glaring lack of experience in the field, but I emphasized the fact that I was familiar with many of the technologies I would be working with due to my college classes. The Director knew of WGU and was very open to the fact that I would be continuing my education and bolstering my experience with certifications. The Network dude was gracious enough to laugh at my self-deprecating humor about being super green with networking and told me, "Don't worry! When I started here, I had only worked at a call center before and didn't know anything about networking. You'll learn!". The Systems guy seemed to be somewhat annoyed at the fact that I wasn't well-versed in storage technology and virtualization (I did let him know that I had set up VMs using Hyper-V, VirtualBox, VMWare Workstation and Citrix in a lab environment, though). The interview ended with them seeming satisfied enough and me feeling that I might actually get the job.

Fast-forward a month later (after the Director emailed me a week after the interview to let me know they were still interviewing for the position), I get a call from the Director while literally driving to another interview for a regular helpdesk position saying that if I was still interested in the position, that he'd have the offer letter emailed to me that night. I tried to contain my excitement, but almost drove into another car doing a dorky happy dance in my car. I said 'yes', of course. Took week for me to actually come in to the office and start, but they're actually going to pay me for the days leading up to my first actual day and the official start date in the offer letter (2 days before I started).

This is the first job where I'm paid salary instead of hourly, and it's the most I've ever been paid. Period. I'm still kind of in shock, and I'm getting used to not having to go to lunch at a certain time and, whenever it's not busy, to get my ass up and take a break from the computer screen/phone for a bit without having to worry about being monitored or clocking in/out. Everything I've learned from my college classes (community college to WGU) and everything I've studied for certifications (except those idiotic CIW certs) is phenomenally relevant now. It's refreshing to know that being able to understand subnetting like the back of my hand was not only relevant for the ICND1 but also for my job. Logging into a switch, router, ASA, etc. and knowing how to troubleshoot (show commands, etc.) is now extremely important and plays a huge role in what I'm doing/learning.

Whoa! I just realized I'm rambling like an idiot. My point is, you've got much more experience than I do, and if you want to get into networking then you will get a networking gig in no time with that experience and obvious desire to keep learning (all that stuff you're reading right now for the CCENT is awesome and immmmmpppppooooorrrrtant!). You've also got that VCA! That's going to help a lot, obviously. I want to dive into that side of things and pursue the VMWare certs, but I can't at the moment due to WGU and the fact that I have to jump over to Microsoft land (MCSA, woohoo...) after the CCNA. Anyway, good luck and choose wisely. You've got the upper hand it looks like!

This forum is never shy of encouragement. Love it!
  • Options
    Hmmm one company called me back and I got a interview on Wednesday. Only thing to note I haven't used Citrix in years and they just rolled out Citrix recently, anyone know a good refresher article someplace? - I'm more a supporter of VMware's version of Terminal Services and well Terminal Services vs Citrix. Citrix has overhead over Windows.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Hmmm one company called me back and I got a interview on Wednesday. Only thing to note I haven't used Citrix in years and they just rolled out Citrix recently, anyone know a good refresher article someplace? - I'm more a supporter of VMware's version of Terminal Services and well Terminal Services vs Citrix. Citrix has overhead over Windows.

I am a CCIA for Citrix and I can tell you Citrix is changing. You might want to look at XenApp 6.5 CBT Nuggets but the XD/XA 7 / 7.5 is changing things way use to be. New protocol. IMA does not exist anymore now FMA and Web Interface is replaced with Storefront and lacks alot of the abilities WI use to have.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    hmmm... so the job I'm meeting with on Monday is looking for a junior network engineer but I mentioned to them I'm currently going for VCP training in August and his eyes widened. Now he's asking me keywords about VMware. Right now if they have a VM need they outsource to a third party. So I guess this gig will be networking for now but might spawn into a VMware engineer. So this could be rather interesting....

possible to specialize in Cisco Networking and be good at it while also doing VMware?
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    hmmm... so the job I'm meeting with on Monday is looking for a junior network engineer but I mentioned to them I'm currently going for VCP training in August and his eyes widened. Now he's asking me keywords about VMware. Right now if they have a VM need they outsource to a third party. So I guess this gig will be networking for now but might spawn into a VMware engineer. So this could be rather interesting....

possible to specialize in Cisco Networking and be good at it while also doing VMware?

Yep. We have a few people that are well-versed in virtualization and networking. I'm assuming you'll be finishing up your CCENT before August, but are you not going for the full CCNA as well?
  • Options
    Yep. We have a few people that are well-versed in virtualization and networking. I'm assuming you'll be finishing up your CCENT before August, but are you not going for the full CCNA as well?

Definitely going to finsh the CCNA but I dont want to do them both at the same time so I can just focus on one terminology base at a time.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Be very good at both and you'll make a killing. Virtualization + Networking skills = Gold! Finish your CCNA asap and hit the VCP head on. Sounds like you may have a great opportunity ahead of you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I'm hopeful indeed. Monday's interview after work will be a determining factor indeed. - it's nice the owner is meeting me of this company for dinner. I guess that's a good sign, considering the job posting says to come to the company's location on a certain date for interviews (probably would be like 15 or so people all in a waiting room and cause a awkward/tense gathering). Since I kind of know him from a year or so ago I guess the awkward motions are gone; like I said he was really impress by how I managed everything so well for 700+ users all by myself.

They were brought onboard (or well I tried too) since having a company of 4 locations and me being the only guy for IT it was hard to plan things it was always break fix not upgrades (I seeked them out since I needed help) but I managed to make miracles with 2 to 4 hour downtimes... you want to talk about stress.... I don't want to remember it...

I do have one hallmark moment: if a employer asks me what was the hardest moment in my career I would say rebuilding a corporate building in less than 3 days following the massive devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Not many people get to re-build a network with new switches, cat5 runs, wyse terminal, smart screens, video conference, upgrade pa systems, automatic sensing light switches, new sans (dell installed them - I knew my technical limits), brand new state-of-the-art HVAC's, you name it was done. it will forever be my trial by fire in my career. I think it would be good since most jobs in this area were somehow affected by that Super Storm so it's allows them to relate...

I bought Odom's hard cover book since I've loved his Kindle version so I'm going to read that like a fat kid of a cupcake focus this weekend...I will have read 4 books so far... then I'll do the CBT nuggets videos and take the exam.
  • Options
    What do you guys make of this? - I think this is positive! - he seems to like me. Like I said he already knows me and how passionate I am about IT. he said in my phone call last week he liked me a great deal.

His:
    Are you familiar with;

V sphere
    V motion
    High availability
    ??
    Solutions for redundant server setups

Mine:
    Indeed; I'm familiar with them with my exposure to VMware 4.1. However since being at (current place) for the past 3 years my boss was anti-VMware so my knowledge is from my past job; my knowledge is really in networking/systems more-so the past 3 years. Hence why I'm scheduled to do the VMware training course in August (already paid for the class) so I can become refreshed with esxi 5.1/5.5 methods. But in my home lab I currently have 2 Dell R610's (just deployed a 3rd) and 2 Dell PE 2950 GEN III servers that all have VMware on them and I use VMware 5.1 heavily for testing while working on a Cisco networking fabric. I also know Sonicwall's to a certain extent but that's something I've put off for a later date once CCNA/VCP is finished.

I do my upmost to stay current with IT trends be it at my current job or at home in my very overkill home lab. Like I said over the phone, Networking and a dab into Windows administration plus Virtualization is my passion. I've recently passed two of the three VMware VCA5 associate certifications regarding VMware 5.1/5.5. I can pick up on the solutions with some hands on it's really not hard to do but like I said it's been a few years in a real production setting.

The servers at home have esxi 5.1 installed on them and right now I have 4 instances of 2008 R2 installed on each server. So while I don't have many deployments with VMware in a few years (in a production world) I do know how to do them in a lab but as stated in the above response it's really not hard to figure it out. Networking is were I've gotten good at; I have my own tools and punchdown. But if you need a VMware specialist I'd be totally up to the challenge. I like being a IT professional that has a few specializations.

I will give you as much information as you want when we meet on Monday.

Have a good weekend *beep*.

Sincerely,
    *beep2*

His:
    Good news

High availability

And those other terms !

*beep2* you can handle all this

VM dual server thing

Look for it
    See what's involved

Have one guy that knows it

His: (again second email 2 seconds apart)
    All good

Monday will be good So u know what we do here and how we compensate our sub-contracting engineers in the field.

Educational options
    Available

See you Monday night
  • Options
    Well I think it went pretty well. He asked me a ton of VMware questions and networking questions. I nailed the networking and VMware questions and even made him aware of a few processes he didn't know about. We ate dinner and chatted about all kinds of things. In the end he said they do contract work like a 1099 or something. I make 45k now so I told him I make 60k so my rate would be like 41 an hour with like 25 to 35 an hour starting.

Does that seem about average what do you guys think...

I'm going to meet with a few of his guys in a couple days so we can talk more specifics but he already knows me and he said it. He knows my skill set since he once had to work with me for 3 weeks while my boss saw if they worked for him, they worked for me just not my boss....

1099's are different for me overall so I'm not sure...
  • Options
    Sounds you like you nailed it, I hope you get it!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds promising keep us posted!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I hope so it will be great exposure. I need to lab the crap out of my servers this weekend. Going to intentionally break them and re-do them all from scratch.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I was kind of surprised to hear that most companies aren't doing VMware too much in my area their just starting so this could be pinnacle for me... This guy said they are just now doing VMware for customers.

how some companies are running 10+ servers is beyond me, talk about a sales pitch of reduced cooling, electric and overhead cost for maintenance agreements....

it will be nice to explode my sheltered knowledge of one companies multi-site knowledge in terms of networking and systems and apply this to a grand scheme of networkis and such... I'm really excited!

I do want to thank everyone on here. if I didn't get all your encouragement I probably wouldn't have ventured out of my safety bubble and looked elsewhere...
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you need any help with VMware technologies hit me up and I will try to help ya!! ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    If you need any help with VMware technologies hit me up and I will try to help ya!! ;)

Thanks man!
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Sounds you like you nailed it, I hope you get it!

I have to admit you be an aussy makes me jealous!

I have a Pontiac G8 in the garage and I just love the new style of the Holodum Commodore. To bad it's only in Australia!
  • Options
    Yep I like the new shape too, even the base model looks sleek and luxurious. I've been a Holden man myself all these years having owned quite a few of the previous models.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..