Options

Resume help

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I haven't been getting any response from the jobs I've been applying for maybe I'm just getting impatient. Either way I could always use someone to help critique my resume.

original Nameless - Resume.doc

update Nameless - Resume v3.doc
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The resume isn't visually appealing. It's difficult to read. You need to work on the formatting.

I would rearrange the Education and Certifications sections so they are next to each other. Education should probably be listed before Certifications.

You should add a Professional Summary section at the top of the resume under your personal information.

This thread is a great reference:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Nameless - Resume v3.doc
    I've changed the format around, I hope ptilsen didn't copyright his resume format icon_wink.gif

After making the summary I definitely think it was a good idea. Although, I feel like I need to add or modify a few things with it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I really don't see a need to list the Grocery Store position. I think its irrelevant
  • Options
    I had been leaving it on there since I was there for 4 and a half years and at my other 2 jobs I didn't stay a year, but I guess since I've been at my current job for 2 and half years I can take it off.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I personally wouldn't suggest that you put your expired CCENT on your resume.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Okay yikes... I can definitely see why you're not getting calls. I don't want to come off as abrasive but this needs LOTS of work.

First of all it's just very unpleasing to the eye. The spacing and formatting is weird with the bolded letters and everything just being clustered together.

Try something like: Contractor for CompanyA IT Consultant 2011-2012

Then underneath list all of the most relevant things you did there in bullet points with spacing like so:

- Administered and managed over 3,000 on site users and computers

- Documented and created procedures for incidents and configurations

- etc, etc...

Also I would create like a Skills or Technologies section and put that at the VERY top. Most resumes only get looked at for about 15 seconds if you're lucky. You want the first few things they look at to capture them to read more. For example-if they're looking for someone with Active Directory experience and it's at the bottom of your resume after all the other meshed together junk, it's probably too late.

So at the very top of your resume trash the Summary, I personally think summary's are more for inexperienced people who need more to fluff up the resume. You definitely have experience and you NEED to expand on that and work some magic on what you have.

Instead like I said add maybe a skills section right at the top so the first thing they see is what you know and have experience in. They open it up and BOOM----

Skills and Technologies

Windows Server Operating Systems: 2003, 2008, 2012

Windows Server Platforms: Active Directory, WSUS, SQL, DHCP, etc, etc

Linux Operating Systems: Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat

Maybe even some Cisco routers and IOS or programming languages.. You get the idea..

Next: Take out your irrelevant grocery store position-they don't care.

Lastly: Put your address on the top, EXPAND more on your education and your degree (include classes, labs, technologies, etc.), AND spacing spacing spacing... Spacing is your friend!

If you have any questions feel free to ask