advice

albinotigeralbinotiger Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Considering sitting for the exam GCIH exam beginning of next month. One quick question if you don't mind, would you "suggest" indexing Book #6 or any of the labs throughout the book? I would assume they wouldn't ask questions from the lab so I skipped indexing labs..but we all know what happens when you assume right?

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's been years since I've taken 504 so I don't know what the current version looks like, but what I will say is that as the question-writing approach for the exams got updated over the years, so has potentially where the questions are derived from. I'd say it's possible that information in the labs may provide clues to questions on the exam (probably at least in concepts for certain domains), so you might want to at least jot down things in the labs you feel weak in. It's sort of like the appendixes - sometimes they're not covered completely in class, but may have reference information that could help out on a question or two.

Simply put - if it's in the course, it's probably fair game to ask about on the exam.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished the GCIH in March. The lab material is tested in the exam, but book 6 is a synthesis of all the previous labs/sections so in one sense its a bit of a review. I personally did not index book 6 as it would simply be a repeat of information better covered in my index elsewhere. Use book 6 and the CTF lab as good practice and a way to reinforce the course material. Good luck!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I found the labs for GCIH to be just an extension of what was discussed in class and the book. Saw no need to index them. Same with Book 6. Passed with 90%.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Indexing the labs sections of the SANS 401 books came in handy for the GSEC exam. *hint hint*
  • ByronicbluezByronicbluez Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took it recently, I wouldn't bother with the lab book. When I took the test, my index didn't help me out as much as my outline. There wasn't too many term/tool look up.

I would be really comfortable with Netcat, Format Strings, and Cross Site scripting before taking the test. The incident handling process is really important too, so be sure you know that really well.