Options

New Resume - Please Review

ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, I shrunk things down to just one page (because people keep advising me to do this) and added a Cover Letter:

Latest & Greatest.doc

Thanks to everyone for the tremendous amount of help and advice I've received thus far!

I uploaded in .doc format this time, so please tell me if it loads properly in Microsoft Office. I created it in LibreOffice and I know there can be compatibility issues sometimes.

I could modify the "Other Valuable Work Experience:" headline to show my 4 most recent jobs instead, if you guys think that's better. More than 4 and it will put me to two pages.

Comments

• Options
    The only problem with this resume is that I removed most of my work history, otherwise it would run at least 2 more pages in length. Is this bad? Here is my actual Work History from my old resume:

Work_History.jpg

I also placed my most relevant work experience first, the Level II Tech Rep position, even though it was from 9 years ago. Is that a good idea or a bad one?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at here. Please upload your resume in Word of PDF format.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    The Cover Letter part isn't fully done yet.

DeleteMe.pdf
  • Options
    This definitely needs some work. There's way too much fluff.

1) I'm sorry to say it, but that footer at the bottom of each page made me laugh. Please don't put something like that on your professional resume. Lose it completely.

2) The Summary section needs some work.

3) The Highlights section is just a bunch of fluff and doesn't serve any real purpose. It's taking up valuable space on your resume. Lose it.

4) Was your accomplishment earned at work or at school? There may be a better way to incorporate this into your resume.

5) On the Education section, lose the A+ exam scores. A pass is a pass. Delete the section about the A+ prep course. You obtained the A+ cert, that's all anyone cares about. Again, too much fluff.

6) I don't like the Duties vs Results format under your Experience section. It's an eyesore and doesn't flow well. Ideally you want to give a high-level overview for each job position, and then use bullet points to highlight projects, special achievements, etc. ptilsen's resume is a perfect example of how to do this.

7) Delete the References section. It's unnecessary. If anyone wants references, they will ask you for them.

8 ) The zig-zag line in the header is ugly.

I recommend you take a look at this thread for an example of a near-flawless professional IT resume:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    If you can work on this and make those changes, please upload an updated version of your resume so that people can give you some further feedback.

• Options
    Much appreciated!

Is a Cover Letter pointless?
  • Options
    Yay!

Inspired by ptilsen's resume, I was able to create my own resume using LibreOffice. I am amazed at what I accomplished considering that I am 100% self-taught in using Writer and Calc!

Here it is:

Ask For Opinion.pdf

Do I need a Cover Letter or Thank-you letter as well or is this good enough?
  • Options
    Cover letters are useful. Thank you letters have their uses as well.

I highly recommend that you remove those boxes that are surrounding everything. They are visually distracting and unappealing.

You should remove the "entry level" from your title Help Desk Technician. It's unnecessary.

Try using some other word to replace "troubleshot." Troubleshot sounds strange. I have seen threads debating the use of this word on a resume, with people going back and forth on it. Best thing to do IMO is to not use it in the first place. You could use the words Resolved, Analyzed, Performed, Completed, Implemented, Developed, Improved, Conducted, Administered, etc. Break out the thesaurus and get creative.

Your professional summary is written like an "Objective" section, which is frowned upon and serves no purpose. You need to reevaluate the purpose of a professional summary and work on this section some more. ptilsen's resume is a professional summary done right.

I don't know what's going on with the "Other Experience" section, but it serves no purpose in its current format. I don't have a good solution for you on what to do about this. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you further advice.

The experience summary section is unnecessary. Delete this.

The A+ prep course section serves no purpose. You already have the A+ cert, I don't need to know about your study time to obtain the cert. Delete this section. If you don't have a college degree, then your only option for education may be "High School Diploma."

I mentioned before, you never add references to your resume, or list "references available upon request" on your resume. It's amateur and unprofessional. Delete this.

• Options
    Thanks, I'll review it.
    Your professional summary is written like an "Objective" section, which is frowned upon and serves no purpose. You need to reevaluate the purpose of a professional summary and work on this section some more. ptilsen's resume is a professional summary done right.

I don't have a professional summary. I'm transitioning into a new field. I have no idea what to write here without it sounding like I'm lying. It's been 9 years since I've worked in this field. I don't feel confident that my experience 9 years ago means that much since I have likely forgotten a ton of what I knew back then.
    The A+ prep course section serves no purpose. You already have the A+ cert, I don't need to know about your study time to obtain the cert. Delete this section. If you don't have a college degree, then your only option for education may be "High School Diploma."

Here's the issue: I don't have a high-school diploma. I am hoping that by adding the prep course it will avoid any questions regarding whether I finished high school or not. Or will this actually serve to increase the number of questions about that?
    I mentioned before, you never add references to your resume, or list "references available upon request" on your resume. It's amateur and unprofessional. Delete this.

A recruiter at an employment company gave me this advice a couple years ago, to give the reference names without the contact info. He also said to make sure I list all of my previous jobs.
    I highly recommend that you remove those boxes that are surrounding everything. They are visually distracting and unappealing.

You should remove the "entry level" from your title Help Desk Technician. It's unnecessary.

Try using some other word to replace "troubleshot." Troubleshot sounds strange. I have seen threads debating the use of this word on a resume, with people going back and forth on it. Best thing to do IMO is to not use it in the first place. You could use the words Resolved, Analyzed, Performed, Completed, Implemented, Developed, Improved, Conducted, Administered, etc. Break out the thesaurus and get creative.

Done, thanks!
  • Options
    Okay, I shrunk things down to just one page (because people keep advising me to do this) and added a Cover Letter:

Latest & Greatest.doc

Thanks to everyone for the tremendous amount of help and advice I've received thus far!

I uploaded in .doc format this time, so please tell me if it loads properly in Microsoft Office. I created it in LibreOffice and I know there can be compatibility issues sometimes.

I could modify the "Other Valuable Work Experience:" headline to show my 4 most recent jobs instead, if you guys think that's better. More than 4 and it will put me to two pages.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how closely Canada resembles the US, but here you more than likely won't get hired for even minimum wage positions without a high school diploma or a GED. This greatly concerns me about your chances of landing a position. How does it work in Canada?

• Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    I'm not sure how closely Canada resembles the US, but here you more than likely won't get hired for even minimum wage positions without a high school diploma or a GED. This greatly concerns me about your chances of landing a position. How does it work in Canada?

I'm 37 years old. It's never been a problem. Well, I applied at a couple places online in recent years and they went stupid and asked if I have one. Then I got told by the application software that I wasn't qualified. Employers never ask me to my face, but I have been asked by placement agencies.

There is at least 1 billionaire in the USA who doesn't have a high school diploma and there are many, many millionaires also. I want this as a boast when I'm rich.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Get your GED ASAP. Most of the IT jobs within the DC/VA/MD area require at least a HS diploma or BS degree.
  • Options
    He lives in Canada.

What is the Canadian equivalent of a GED, and how difficult would it be for you to obtain?

Also, what are your options for getting a 4-year degree, and have you considered this?

• Options
    It's called a GED up here too.

My IQ is high enough to enable me to be a member of the International High IQ Society, all I'd need to do is pay the tiny fee to take the IQ test. Would that be a good thing to add to the resume to dismiss the necessity of a GED?

Besides this though Srabiee, while I do appreciate your concerns over my lack of a GED, I'd like to start shipping out my new resume as soon as possible. If you have any final advice re: my resume, I'd appreciate it. I shaved it down to just one page:

Latest & Greatest.doc
  • Options
    bridgestonebridgestone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Cover Letter part isn't fully done yet.

You've got the idea of the cover letter totally wrong. A cover letter can never be standardized and just replace fields.

It's got to be tailored to each application.

The way I do it is to read the job ad and see what they are looking for.

Then the cover letter basically tells them exactly how I match that profile.

This way they read my CV with their appetite already whetted.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could you just go attend college if your IQ is high?

I don't know about Canada, but in the states they will not hire you without a GED.
    IMHO the GED would help you immensely in your quest. Although may not seem like an issue it is still fundamental in your learning through the local school system.

Education is a needed tool in order to get a decent position. Those folks who have obtained their BS have a better chance of landing a job and getting better pay.
  • Options
    You've got the idea of the cover letter totally wrong. A cover letter can never be standardized and just replace fields.

It's got to be tailored to each application.

The way I do it is to read the job ad and see what they are looking for.

Then the cover letter basically tells them exactly how I match that profile.

This way they read my CV with their appetite already whetted.

How long does it take you to apply for just 1 job?

Okay, I'll see what I can do. But I can't wait anymore. I need to start applying for jobs again.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my experience a cover letter for entry level jobs has never helped and may have hurt, plus it often takes me an hour or two to fit the cover letter. I've never received a reply from a company I've sent a cover letter to but about 25% replies since switching to a functional resume. Many places I've been applying for don't have a cover letter option, I think they are on their way out, good riddance!

HS Diploma/GED isn't so much about intelligence as it is responsibility. The same can be said about a college degree.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)