Options

what would you call this position

coastalwoodscoastalwoods Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
My current position is ___ and I'm responsible for two facilities. In this role, I'm based in one location and at least once a week travel to the other place to fix issues and check that things are running. I essentially set my own hours and work over-time when I feel there is a need for it. There is no one locally that I directly report to, but there are many "chieftains" at the corporate hq.

There are no other IT people at my locations and if further assistance is required, I contact the admins. Despite having a CCNA and a networking degree, I'm not allowed access into my own devices for something simple like tracking down a mac address on a switch port. I have to get creative in this situation and becomes overly difficult to document a network that they expect me to know.

My responsibilities may include:
  • creating accounts in Active Directory
  • backing up files
  • tracking down networks cables/connections
  • contacting vendors for quotes on hardware and installing cable, but not approving
  • assist in the purchase, update and repair of company devices and technology.
  • disposing of equipment
  • documenting the network (as best as possible) and all IT equipment
  • installing and troubleshooting software with little documentation
  • directly interacting with users on a day to day basis with very limited phone use
  • supporting two remote users when required
  • configuring and troubleshooting for users on thin clients, desktops and laptops

We recently had our first IT conference meeting and I have been there for four months. It's come to my attention, after the head Chieftain made it known, that I should be making certain business decisions, which would affect a group of people and how they function.

The HR person saw I was a bit down and we talked. She and I agreed that those business decisions are not fitting to my title or role in the company. It's funny, but she said I could change the title if I wanted -she didn't create it. With the bad experience I've had at this company, it's tempting.

At any rate, my main location is being closed and I've decided to pursue other opportunities. As opposed to being strung along for a position that may not exist at the other site. HR understands the bad situation I'm in, they've had 3-4 people cycle through since the company was bought and now dumped.

Comments

• Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Sounds exactly like what I do at my job (minus the business decisions and main location closing part). My title is network tech and I think it is pretty fitting. What is your current title? Regardless, I think it'd be a pretty good idea to get out of that job if what you are saying is true.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen job listings with these responsibilities as IT assistant. Very vague and network tech carries more prestige. Thing is you don't seem to be allowed to do much network troubleshooting, installing which is what network techs job listings often list. It seems more towards desktop support, which is a good title.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    techfiend wrote: »
    I've seen job listings with these responsibilities as IT assistant. Very vague and network tech carries more prestige. Thing is you don't seem to be allowed to do much network troubleshooting, installing which is what network techs job listings often list. It seems more towards desktop support, which is a good title.

Well to be fair part of my job is network/server troubleshooting as well as basic configs and racking/stacking so I don't think network tech is too prestigious for me. I actually think IT technician or assistant would be a good title for the OP.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Entered thread expecting something more 18+ ... was disappointed.
    meh