Options

Passed ITIL Foundation

Red_DragonRed_Dragon Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
It's done I passed ;)

That was a heck of an exam, and it was harder than I thought.

The resources that I used was the book by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris, I also used the CBT Nuggets by Michael Shannon. I didn't rely on the videos too much, but looking back at it, I really should have studied both instead of just the book.

Feeling excited.
BSIT: Bachelors of Science in Information Technology

Comments

• Options
    bridgestonebridgestone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! What was your score compared to the pass rate?

And were your resources for the ITIL (presumably 2011) exam? Were your books/nuggets for v3 (2007) or were they up to date? I have v3 materials and am wondering if they are good enough or too much out of date.
  • Options
    Thanks Bridgestone,

Yes, the reading material I read was from here:

http://www.amazon.com/ITIL-Foundation-Exam-Study-Guide/dp/1119942756/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415857198&sr=8-1&keywords=itil+foundation

The CBT Nuggets I watched was from his 2013 series.

I think it should be enough, according to Michael Shannon the big difference between the v3 and 2011 syllabus is that the 2011 focus more on the "How" aspect of ITIL Service Lifecycle.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did anyone else find Michael Shannon extremely annoying? His teaching style to me was very off-putting. Too fast and obviously from written notes. I'm probably going to have to watch it twice just to get a basic understanding.
  • Options
    daviddws wrote: »
    Did anyone else find Michael Shannon extremely annoying? His teaching style to me was very off-putting. Too fast and obviously from written notes. I'm probably going to have to watch it twice just to get a basic understanding.

I think the issue with Michael Shannon was he made some parts way too long and some parts too short.

I don't think he's a bad teacher though, I also don't think watching his videos alone would have been enough to pass the exam.
  • Options
    flipflop4567flipflop4567 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I just passed the exam last Friday. I took a 3-day crash course and they asked if anyone wanted to take the exam on the last day. I jumped on the opportunity because alot of that is too dry and easy to forget. It's a concept based exam, almost a business model for IT.
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Congrats! I just passed the exam last Friday. I took a 3-day crash course and they asked if anyone wanted to take the exam on the last day. I jumped on the opportunity because alot of that is too dry and easy to forget. It's a concept based exam, almost a business model for IT.

Awesome, congrats to you as well and thanks all :)
  • Options
    JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Red Dragon;

I did my foundation exam today and passed it. I used the study guide by Liz Gallacher and the nuggets by Michael Shannon. I actually liked his nuggets as compared to some others that I watched. I guess it comes down to personal taste. I found the exam straight forward and had no surprises. I have no plans going further at this time and will be concentrating on my tech certs.

Congrats on passing it.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats guys.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    syedfaisalsyedfaisal Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats guys

guys i am new to itil v3 ..I am interested to give itil foundation v3 can you please confirm me the exam code for it.This will be my first exam in itil .Is the exam is difficult..Please guide what materials for study should i use thanks

what is the difference between
    ex0-117

ex0-101

ex0-001

i visited prometric site i but i didnt find exo-117 and ex0-101

which one i need to give ??
  • Options
    Hi;

First of all, if you're looking at studying/writing the ITIL exam, you'd be going for the ITIL2011 exam. The codes for the exams are:

EXO-117 ITIL Foundation 2011 (this is the one that you'd be writing)
    EXO-101 ITIL Foundation V3

When looking at scheduling the exam, search under ECIN and you'll find the exams.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    JerryL wrote: »
    Hi;

First of all, if you're looking at studying/writing the ITIL exam, you'd be going for the ITIL2011 exam. The codes for the exams are:

EXO-117 ITIL Foundation 2011 (this is the one that you'd be writing)
    EXO-101 ITIL Foundation V3

When looking at scheduling the exam, search under ECIN and you'll find the exams.

Hope that helps.

Hello,

Yes this is correct, congratulations to the others who have passed this!
  • Options
    syedfaisalsyedfaisal Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys for your reply but I am still confused .As when I go to register exam through prometric I go to select EXIN then itil ....But their only one exam is coming by name EXO-001 ITIL foundation (syllabus 2011).The book and training material which I took from my friend name is ITIL FOUNDATION CERTIFICATE IN IT SERVICE MANAGEMENT but exam code is not mentioned in it
  • Options
    Hi

First; my typo as you've noticed. It should have been EXIN not ECIN.

Second; the one that you want is 2011 syllabus. True, it is confusing and not labelled properly on some of the training material/websites.

Good luck with the exam. Its pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I honestly suggest ITIL Training Zone. They had a 99 bucks special a few days ago. I did the videos and practice tests In a weekend and passed on a Tuesday (only because I missed my Monday appointment, no charge reschedule). Personally I wouldn't of paid full price for the training, paying 200 bucks for training and 200 bucks for the cert wasn't worth It to me. I can think of more certs that have a higher return on my money in the 400-600 bucks range. I bought the ITIL book from Amazon about 2 years ago attempted to read the first 5 pages unsuccessfully then tossed that dry book in a box somewhere. It was dry and made me tired (no offense). You can study and pass in 4 days or less if you devote a solid weekend. SOLID
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    overthetop wrote: »
    I bought the ITIL book from Amazon about 2 years ago attempted to read the first 5 pages unsuccessfully then tossed that dry book in a box somewhere. It was dry and made me tired (no offense). You can study and pass in 4 days or less if you devote a solid weekend. SOLID

LOL, I am in chapter 12, the book is good but difficult to read.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    overthetop wrote: »
    I honestly suggest ITIL Training Zone. They had a 99 bucks special a few days ago. I did the videos and practice tests In a weekend and passed on a Tuesday (only because I missed my Monday appointment, no charge reschedule). Personally I wouldn't of paid full price for the training, paying 200 bucks for training and 200 bucks for the cert wasn't worth It to me. I can think of more certs that have a higher return on my money in the 400-600 bucks range. I bought the ITIL book from Amazon about 2 years ago attempted to read the first 5 pages unsuccessfully then tossed that dry book in a box somewhere. It was dry and made me tired (no offense). You can study and pass in 4 days or less if you devote a solid weekend. SOLID

Yeah it's a good book, but really boring. You have to really pay attention because it gets easy to lose focus.

Also one thing I've noticed, anyone think it's weird that employers always ask for ITIL V3 even though the latest version is 2011 and has been for years?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Isn't ITIL boring in general :D

Agreed about 2011, it doesn't matter what year you have as long as you have it.
  • Options
    I agree on the ads asking for the V3 version. From what I understand is that the job description is usually written by HR who really don't know anything about IT and are going by old job descriptions. What I get a laugh about is that people who are going for the cert now keep saying themselves that they are going for V3.
  • Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...people who are going for the cert now keep saying themselves that they are going for V3.

There wasn't a massive difference between 2011 and V3 - some corrections and some new processes. V3 was the revolution, 2011 evolution.
  • Options
    That may be true, but you'd think that when asking for certs that they would ask for the current one, not the one that's been superseded. Or at least put it in a form such as V3/2011.
  • Options
    That may be true, but you'd think that when asking for certs that they would ask for the current one, not the one that's been superseded. Or at least put it in a form such as V3/2011.

Exactly, and the hilarious thing is that years have passed and yet somehow HR/the Industry still hasn't gotten the Memo that 2011 is the current version.

Last week I saw three jobs asking for ITIL Foundation, all of them said V3, hah.
  • Options
    That's common. I've seen that so often. I don't think that I've actually seen anyone asking for 2011. I'm also ITSM certified but when I've talked about it during some job interviews, it seems to draw a blank look. Therefore, I wonder if they're going by buzzwords or does anyone further up the chain actually know what these certs are for.
  • Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, if memory serves, when they did the 2011 update they dropped the version and just used 'ITIL Foundation'. Similar to how the iPad 3 just became the iPad...
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    Is there a discount voucher code for this ITIL v3/2011 Foundation exam? If so, how much discount are we talking?
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□