Options

Lynda.com online training videos

JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone used the Lynda.com training videos for the ITIL 2011 Foundation course? From what I've read, the site has good reviews, but I haven't seen any specifically for ITIL.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    lynda.com has been around for many years and their stuff is very good.

Lynda Weinman in the Wikipedia
    lynda.com company info in the Wikipedia
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've taken a brief look at the demo video - the copyright is out of date and I can't see any information about accreditation which would raise some flags for me.

You can check if an ITIL course provider has been accredited (thus making sure their courses will fully prepare you for an exam) here:
    https://www.axelos.com/find-a-training-provider

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Lynda.com provides training materials, like CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight does, and is not an actual training provider.
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Unless Lynda.com is an accredited training provider, the site is breaking copyright if it uses diagrams, concepts or terms from ITIL. Accredited training providers like myself and Claire, go to a lot of trouble and expends to achieve and maintain accreditation. Using an ATO provides you with the assurance that the materials are up-to-date with the latest syllabus or other changes, and that they have been written by people who have achieved a deep understanding of the subject through study and practical experience. I have not looked at these videos, but I would warn students to be very wary of the quality of what you can find on the internet. I often get emails asking me to explain something which the student has had misexplained using unaccredited resources.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi JD

Apologies if I'm telling you things you already know, but this will be useful for other forum users too.

Anyone who wants to sell (or give away) ITIIL training has to get a license and go through a strict accreditation process. From the training provider's perspective, this gives them the legal right to use the IP. From the training customer's perspective, this gives them the confidence that the course has been assessed against the syllabus and will fully prepare them to meet the exam.

Whether it's the Lynda site or the trainer using the site, someone needs to be accredited and I don't see any evidence of that. It doesn't mean they aren't accredited, but it's not immediately obvious. Checking on the ITIL official site can help to give customer confidence, particularly if they are going to pay for something.

The course on Lynda.com shows screen shots that attribute the diagrams to the Cabinet Office as the IP owner. Axelos now owns the ITIL IP and all training providers have had to update their materials or risk losing their accreditation - so this was a flag for me as a trainer.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know how well the site offers training to any specific certifications. I have used it a number of times to learn about things like adobe Photoshop and for the cost is was a pretty good site. Nothing I viewed was geared to the level of certifications I was looking at all general software usage videos.

The one thing I would note is that I paid the cheaper rate which did not provide access to the demo files they were using on screen. In the Photoshop tutorials this slowed me down considerably as I had to create fake content to follow along quickly. This might not be as important for other topics.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As I understand copyright law, if the Cabinet granted him the copyright, and then transferred the copyright, I believe that the initial agreement/license is still in play. Paying for a license, then having to pay again because the licesne was transferred, is extortion. As I understand it, Lynda.com provide materials to familiarize oneself with various topics, and no one claims that they are a 'training provider' providing enough information and detail to pass any ITIL exam.

I think Axelos would have a hard time going after them legally, because they clearly aren't an intensive training provider focused on passing an exam, as other accredited organizations are.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone;

Thanks for the responses. I've done a free week training of the ITIL 2011 exam at CBT Nuggets that Michael Shannon was teaching and found his presentation was very well done. I laid out the $25 at Lynda.com and went through a quarter of the presentation by Mark Thomas. I can't comment on his other topics and he does know his material, but his presentation is all over the place and hard to follow.

By using CBT Nuggets you spend more but at least get a good set of videos.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Dreams.JasmineDreams.Jasmine Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Jerry,

You may go through www.apnacourse.com for the ITIL-F online training...its relatively less expensive and also accredited by PEOPLECERT...i guess they have a free trial period or sumthing...give it a shot and try it out for yourself...All the Best :):)
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm finding it useful as a supplement to the official book and Skillsoft.