GCED -pass

timrvttimrvt Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
passed the GCED this past weekend.

Finished with 40 mins to spare. Could have prob slowed down on the last 50 or so questions but I was
worried about not finshing them all and guessing.

Straight forward exam touching on all the topic contents in the course(which I took in boston last august)

I did make indexes but didnot use them

I did use a few cheatsheat command indexes for some of the tools (wireshark/tcpdump) ...def good ref

my strategy was: read books once /create indexes ...read books twice/update clean indexes ...take practice exam #1
read books 3rd time take practice exam

the week of the exam I took 3 days off from work and ..yup read the books a fourth time (by this time I knew pretty much where any topic in any book was located)

day of the exam ...snowed...but it was an ok hour drive to the testing center

small center..only 2 other people in for testing and both were gone within the first hour..so I had the place all to myself

next up for 2015 I 'm thinking gcnfa

Comments

• 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! How do you feel the course / material of the GCED compares to the GCIH? I'm pretty much sold on the GCIH for 2015, but the GCED still intrigues me.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats!

5ekurity: GCED in extremely basic. Kind of a GSEC on steroids. I took the class after I got my GCIH so I was bored to death. If you are planning on doing GCIH, then GCED would be a waste of resources. I can only recommend GCED for those who just want to get an overview and have no further plans to dive into other SANS classes/certs. You'll definitely get more out of GCIH.
  • Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I am taking the on demand class for this now. I took GCIH about 6 years ago, and there is certainly overlap. I am actually planning to do GSE (no gold, so 5 certs + GSE), and my theory was GCED may help in passing GSEC (which I hope to avoid taking the class for), and the extra review of materials covered in GCED that overlap with other courses might help with GCIH and GCIA (extra review and what not). I'll know more by the end of next year if this class helped, after I get through a couple more classes/certs.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Congrats!

5ekurity: GCED in extremely basic. Kind of a GSEC on steroids. I took the class after I got my GCIH so I was bored to death. If you are planning on doing GCIH, then GCED would be a waste of resources. I can only recommend GCED for those who just want to get an overview and have no further plans to dive into other SANS classes/certs. You'll definitely get more out of GCIH.

Thanks for the feedback; GCIH it is! I'm thinking about going to SANS 2015 in Orlando and trying out NetWars, otherwise it'll probably be via OnDemand.