Options

Since we're doing resume critique?

LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone mind doing mine?

Currently looking for networking or junior systems/network admin jobs.

clean.pdf
clean.doc

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend centering your name at the top of the resume.

Consider using a different word for "juggle," such as multitask or manage. Juggle sounds too informal, almost like slang.

The education section should go before the certifications section.

I would lose the line "Currently pursuing MCSA in Windows Server 2012." If you don't have the cert yet, it doesn't need to be included on the resume.

Within the job experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this.

If you are able to integrate your projects into your work experience, I would recommend doing so.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    np. If you need further assistance, upload an updated version of your resume and I'll see what else I can come up with to help you. Other forum members may be inclined to give their thoughts as well.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your resume has about 30 seconds to get someone to say to themselves "I have to talk to this person". It's only function is to get you to the interview stage, after that it's all on you.

Here's my advice:

I tend to type these things out as I think so forgive the whole stream of consciousness ramblings

- Your summary statement should be tailored to each job you apply to. If they want an CCNA with 3 years experience, make sure your summary reflects this, hit the key words in the job posting. It's not bad now, but it needs improvement.

- Formatting is off. You're a professional now that you've been working for almost 3 years. Your work experience is the most important thing. I had to get to page 2 before I could see what you have actually done professionally. As a hiring person I'm already a little irritated. I haven't disqualified you, but you've done yourself no favors here.

- Certifications and Skills get grouped after work experience with your education. Leave off the pursuing MCSA information. I don't care what you're planning on doing, I'm only concerned with your accomplishments. If you have passed any of the tests towards a MCSA feel free to list those here.

- You've done a good job of listing things that have you done. A list of tasks if you will. You haven't told me anything about the results of your work! What was the outcome of you doing <task>? Accomplishments? Improvements? Outcomes? Give me more information.

For example you write
    Network Design and management, especially VLANs and intranet routing

This tells me nothing at all. What did you design and manage? How? What was improved? What was the result of your work?
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)