SANS work study option

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So I just applied to do the work study option at a SANS event that is coming near me this summer. Was wondering if most people who applied got accepted for it?

Has anyone on here been accepted or denied? Seems like a pretty awesome opportunity to take the course for alot cheaper!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been accepted the last 3 years. Definitely the best way to experience SANS. I'll be applying again for an August/September event.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the reply! Hope they accept. I'm also going to send an email to my manager seeing my company would help pay for the rest of the cost and also for the actual exam... Can't get them to help me with my CCNA so not sure how likely it is for them to help me with this. But we did recently just get hit with a virus. Didn't really do much, sent a couple spam emails out from our HR director's email that went to the whole company though. Might be a good time to ask!! icon_wink.gif
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I applied for three different cities at three different times and got accepeted for two, but couldn't attend due to work scheduling conflicts. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Got another quesiton, the test is listed for $1099 normally but $629 when you take the course. When taking the course through the Work Study option do you get the $629 price for the course as well??
    Oh no, for $900 you get the physical class, OnDemand access for 3 months, 2 practice tests, and 1 attempt for the actual exam. Best deal ever.
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm hoping to do the Seattle one this fall. So am I correct that you help setup, take down, then you kinda hang out in the class but not really take it?
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
    Wrong. You are a student like everyone else, get the same books, do the same labs, do the CTF, etc. You may be away from the class only if the instructor needs something. In my 3 courses as a facilitator time away from the class has been negligible with the caveat that I've done smaller events. I hear the big events like the one in Orlando are more hectic. One thing to keep in mind: you are there to help SANS and the instructor, not to be tech support for other students. Some people expect me to give them Windows images, troubleshoot issues, etc. Nope, not happening.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Oh no, for $900 you get the physical class, OnDemand access for 3 months, 2 practice tests, and 1 attempt for the actual exam. Best deal ever.

Didnt see that part on the site, that is pretty sweet!! I wouldnt mind paying for all that then. Now I really hope I get accepted!
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Wrong. You are a student like everyone else, get the same books, do the same labs, do the CTF, etc. You may be away from the class only if the instructor needs something. In my 3 courses as a facilitator time away from the class has been negligible with the caveat that I've done smaller events. I hear the big events like the one in Orlando are more hectic. One thing to keep in mind: you are there to help SANS and the instructor, not to be tech support for other students. Some people expect me to give them Windows images, troubleshoot issues, etc. Nope, not happening.

That's awesome!
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    Plus in order for you to take the exam included in the $900, you have to stay at the hotel of the SANS event if you're an out of towner.
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I'm 2 for 2 with signing up for these. Definitely an awesome experience.
    How long before the event did you hear you got in the work study program?? Applied for one that is in June a couple weeks back.
    If memory serves me right the let you know a month before the event.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    A month before the event. I have also done the smaller events. So usually dont spend a lot of time away from the class. I have done 4 till now. In the last two and a half years. Might apply for one next year. One paper is up for recertification.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

The details for SANS Seattle 2015 in March were just released. I'm planning on applying for the work study option. I'll be attending the SEC505 class in San Diego this May. Should I wait on passing the GCWN certification before applying? Or do you think it'd make any difference? I'm not sure how they base their decisions. Also, I heard that you have to stay at the hotel the conference is at, is that true? Even for locals?

Thanks!
    Hotel stay does not apply to locals.