Options

Resume - Critique please

GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
I don't know why I even bothered redacting it since in this digital age, it can be found online via other means and figure out who the poster is. But just for the sanity sake, I have redacted it.

I would like community's help and thoughts on it. Whether I should tone down to 2 pages (if so, any pointer) or any wording or style or format needs to be changed, etc. Any tips/advices are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sorry to see that no one responded to your request for a resume critique. Do you still need assistance with this?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks srabiee.

I figured no one had any inputs/comments. But I am open to any comment/input/help/advice since it is time to get back on the market.
  • Options
    I definitely recommend condensing this resume down to 2 pages total. You have a lot of information here. I'm sure some of this can be clubbed, condensed, and edited down sufficiently without negatively affecting the resume.

Can you re-upload the resume and include the date ranges and titles of all of your job positions? That would help me to make recommendations regarding what to include and what not to include.

The qualifications section should be replaced with a competent professional summary using complete sentences. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this. The information you have listed can easily be converted to a professional summary, and then expanded upon if need be.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. You have a LOT of information, so this should be very easy for you to reformat these sections.

You did a good job using past-tense action verbs and varying your vocabulary.

What is your current job title? You may want to include a title/heading at the top of the resume that lists your current job title. This is especially important when searching for a new job position that is directly related to what you already do.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing out ptilsen's resume. I do like the format and style. I will readjust mine. Meanwhile I have attached the redacted one with title.redacted (2).pdf
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I like your resume, or more specifically your quals and it's formatted like mine. :) Some things I noticed right away which are more my personal preference is that your current position should have more bullets than previous ones. Especially over a 2 month gig. I also didn't notice any specific accomplishments at your current and last 2 jobs. Responsibilities were listed clearly but I didn't see what you did for them to distinguish you from other candidates that have similar quals. Did you propose/implement a solution that saved them cost or time? Something like that.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    Everything I listed under my 3rd job applies to my current job (moved to new company, get rehired at old company, still doing what I did before I left plus more). How do I list that? The other way I can see is take everything out from 3rd job and put it under current job. List descriptions for only 2 jobs but it doesn't feel right in terms of how resume looks.
    For accomplishments, I do understand what you are saying (however security ROI is not the same as IT ROI). With that said I can rephrase things. Also, ISO 27001, itself, is an accomplishment for my current job and it's a huge undertaking.
  • Options
    Ok, so it looks like you have been with Company A for quite some time, and had a few promotions or title changes. I would list some of that information as a single job listing, and then maybe include a bullet that mentions the promotion, title change, and increased job duties. Something like this:

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
    Company A August 2014 - Present
    {Current Job Title}

Company B June 2014 - August 2014
    {Job Title}

Company A February 2005 - June 2014
    {Highest Job Title}
    * Promoted to Information Security Analyst in {Month/Year} due to superlative work performance...etc etc
    * Promoted to Systems Administrator in {Month/Year} due to superlative work performance...etc etc

Once you club and edit some of this information down (you have way too many bullets to read through), you should be able to drop the "Other Professional Experience" section. Then you should add job description information for Company C and Company D. You don't have to say a lot because they are older positions, but you should say something about them. (including a high level overview and maybe a couple bullets)

This should be enough information to get you started on a major revision. Work on your professional summary and high-level overview stuff. Once you get that down, re-upload and I can help you with the content of each job description. That information needs to be condensed down a bit.

Quick question though..why did you leave Company A for two months and then return? I'm sure that question is most definitely going to come up in an interview.

• Options