Options

No experience resume

EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to look for a job soon but I have no experience in the IT field, only food service. How would I go about creating a resume?

Comments

• Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I was advised when I was in a similar situation was to take the skills/things you did on the job and tailor them to show how they would apply to a completely different field. If you would like once I get home from work I can show you my resume. I use to work at Papa John's and Firehouse Subs
  • Options
    That would be great! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm extremely interested in seeing that resume now. Are you uploading it here?
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I used my cover letter as a way to highlight how the skills I learned at previous jobs will transfer over to my new job. Here is my resume and cover letter. A good friend of mine helped me with the resume so I can't take all of the credit. :)

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Focus on customer service, client relationship management. Those are your friend, list all the years you provided customer service. It won't go unnoticed.
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Customer service skills can take you a long way. I've come into contact with a lot of IT personnel that have dog **** communication skills. It's very important to be able to relate and talk to people, which you've probably developed well over the years. Sell yourself like you would your products. You know the ins and outs better than anyone of your skills and talents (talent for learning and applying as well. Customer service requires you to think on your feet and put out fires often).

You got this. :)
  • Options
    Resume.docx.pdf Edit: took out the personal info I care about but didn't do anything elseFinally home! Traffic, and last minute fixes. But in the resume you'll notice I did another job other than normal customer service, and some of the jobs only had 2 points because I didn't want to repeat a task on there thats done in almost all customer service jobs. Good luck with your job search!
  • Options
    Thank you all! This is really helpful!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoyed reading the resumes. They look great!
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Arod95 wrote: »
    Finally home! Traffic, and last minute fixes. But in the resume you'll notice I did another job other than normal customer service, and some of the jobs only had 2 points because I didn't want to repeat a task on there thats done in almost all customer service jobs. Good luck with your job search!

Attachment not found.
    You might want to "redact" that a little better...
  • Options
    what you mean?
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what you mean?

The spacing and ordering of the text is a bit too close. It looks like you were trying to fit it on one page instead of a "natural" presence. Your current position needs to have current active wording. "Adapt to amount traffic." Simple rewording of the lines is and spacing issues need to be resolved.

I can tell you that the spacing makes it hard to read in a concise flow. Otherwise, you're on the right path.
  • Options
    what you mean?
    I see your address, phone number, etc.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your Skills and Certifications should be moved right under Education, they are all related to each other.
  • Options
    I see your address, phone number, etc.

It's blocked out when I see it?

And I think for a resume with not a lot of job experience you should put your certs and skills right at the top. I have had to screen resumes in the past and that stuff really will grab attention. Whereas seeing your job descriptions I would probably flip through. And you have a lot of great certs! Play that up!

Also- you don't need to make room for an objective anymore. It's an outdated practices on resumes. :)

A+ certified
  • Options
    It's blocked out when I see it?

And I think for a resume with not a lot of job experience you should put your certs and skills right at the top. I have had to screen resumes in the past and that stuff really will grab attention. Whereas seeing your job descriptions I would probably flip through. And you have a lot of great certs! Play that up!

Also- you don't need to make room for an objective anymore. It's an outdated practices on resumes. :)
    Highlight the black area, copy, paste into notepad. He just highlighted it black, didnt actually redact anything.
  • Options
    ahh, got it, got it. Party at Arod95's house! BYOB ;)

A+ certified
  • Options
    I thought it would black it out icon_lol.gif you guys can come over this weekend.
  • Options
    I assume we will be watching Game of Thrones, yes?

Working through Dance with Dragons right now...wahhhh!

A+ certified
  • Options
    Of course still trying to catch up before the premier this April. A season, and a half left to go! icon_cheers.gif