Options

So what do you exactly do as a work study candidate?

LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know work study is cheap, but you have to arrive earlier to help out the instructor.

I had some spare leave and thinking if I should try out the work study thing.

How early should I apply for work study and what do you do as a work study candidate?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you look over the "Overview of Duties and Positions" section on this page? https://www.sans.org/work-study/

I haven't done any SANS courses but I just applied to do a Work Study at an event this summer. Really hope I hear back from them! Sounds like a pretty sweet opportunity as my work would never help pay for this... (and I couldn't afford that)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Usually you need to show up a day before the event starts for setup, arrive super early the first day for checking people in, facilitate one or more night talks, and help with tear down. I've worked with Fossen, Ham, and Demoupolous (i'm sure I misspelled it) and they were extremely easy to work with. The only time I was away from the class was when I had to go to the hotel lobby to grab a lunch order the instructor graciously treated the whole room to so we could work labs through lunch.

I usually apply as soon as the classes for the particular event I'm interested in are posted on the SANS website. No idea if that gives any advantage though.

More details here:https://www.sans.org/media/security-training/volguidelines.pdf

I can't stress enough the importance of establishing that backchannel communication with the instructors. It will certainly come in handy at some point down the road.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cyberguypr again."

I tried... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    The system is flawed! I demand a fix!!! LOL
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just signed up for work study myself for an event in July.

Cyber - have you done the Work Study for 2 certs you have through them?
  • Options
    That is correct.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How long did it take you roughly from the beginning of your studies to passing the exam? Looking at GSEC for starters, and then GCIH and/or GCIA down the road.
  • Options
    I always take my classes in September/October, review the material, and then take the exam between December/January.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I really want to do GCIH work study (they have one in driving distance in a few months) because I already have the 2014 books, but the budget felll through from my employer so I would have to foot the bill. But I think the smarter move is to wait until next year so that If I take a SANS course it can count towards renewing my GSEC and GCIA.