ITIL, dry materail

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who finds the material very dry. I'm going through Exam Study Guide book by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris and oh boy it's very dry; most of stuff is very common sense although the overall framework is useful. Of course it's not their fault, just the content is very untasty.

I must get this cert asap, but the material is a big motivation killer!

Comments

  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Mod Posts: 2,832 Mod
    I got that book too and you're right, the material for ITIL is dry by nature. So what I did is get Claire Agutter's book which is very short and concise. I read it twice and passed with like an 88. No need to really read the big book by Liz (although it is good for reference or looking at a topic in-depth.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think 99% of people will find the topic to be very dry, me included. My advice is to hit the revision hard and take the exam as soon as you can.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I think the only thing that saved me was having experience I could relate to. If not for that, I would have really been pulling hairs.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks guys for the responses. Claire Agutter's book looks great, 148 pages; that's what I need. I have a subscription to Safari Online, so I'm reading it now.
  • B80B80 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I got that book too and you're right, the material for ITIL is dry by nature. So what I did is get Claire Agutter's book which is very short and concise. I read it twice and passed with like an 88. No need to really read the big book by Liz (although it is good for reference or looking at a topic in-depth.

    I am planning to get myself certified asap with ITIL. Is this one the one you reccommended by Claire Agutter? I will buy it once you confirm.

    Amazon.com: ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need (9781849283991): Claire Agutter: Books

    Thanks.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Mod Posts: 2,832 Mod
    Ozdream wrote: »
    I am planning to get myself certified asap with ITIL. Is this one the one you reccommended by Claire Agutter? I will buy it once you confirm.

    Amazon.com: ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need (9781849283991): Claire Agutter: Books

    Thanks.

    Correct, that is the book that I used. See my review there (by Joey). I read it twice and passed the exam. It doesn't have any fluff, just what you need to know to pass. So if you need some more in depth info on a particular topic just use Google.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Correct, that is the book that I used. See my review there (by Joey). I read it twice and passed the exam. It doesn't have any fluff, just what you need to know to pass. So if you need some more in depth info on a particular topic just use Google.

    Thanks Jojo for the confirmation. It seems like the book is shipped all the way from the US. Sad, Australia Amazon does not have this book. icon_sad.gif

    It seems like it does not come with electronic version. I like reading the e-books.
  • OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the responses. Claire Agutter's book looks great, 148 pages; that's what I need. I have a subscription to Safari Online, so I'm reading it now.

    Would you share how and where did you subscribe for this book? I hate reading paper books.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Ozdream wrote: »
    Would you share how and where did you subscribe for this book? I hate reading paper books.

    Here : https://www.safaribooksonline.com

    Their monthly subscription is a bit pricy, but you can use trial to see if it fits your needs, budget. Good luck. Search fort ITIL, you will see the book.
  • OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Here : https://www.safaribooksonline.com

    Their monthly subscription is a bit pricy, but you can use trial to see if it fits your needs, budget. Good luck. Search fort ITIL, you will see the book.

    Thanks. I have got the book , hardcopy, shipped from the US. I purchased it on Amazon and it is a shame that whole Australia does not have this book so shipped from the US thus the shipping cost 2 times of the price of the book. Total cost: AUD 60.

    I plan to start reading it next week on and target to take the test by the end of this month. I am not planning to look into any other books or materials as I need it quick. I am following some of you folks' recommendation saying just to pass the exam this book is enough.

    Let me know how you progress on your certification. I would love to knowing your experience. I am being too irritated by the employers here asking for ITIL almost all the time. icon_sad.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.