Resume Review

Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been looking to make the jump into a more technical role, something more challenging. There's also a little motivation to start looking because my company just announced that it sold off about half of its business.

Looking for some advice on my resume.

Resume1.pdf
Working on: CCNP Switch

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely needs work. Doesn't really have much of a format going on. I will link you to an extremely popular resume template (ptilsen's) that I highly recommend you take a look at.

Your resume should begin with a competent professional summary. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. I would recommend expanding on your experience as much as possible, especially as it relates to the specific job that you are applying for.

The certification section should be listed immediately after the education section.

Try varying your vocabulary, and write as academically as possible. For example, you have too many bullets that begin with the verb "performed." The thesaurus would be a great tool to find alternate words to use.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, appreciate the advice!
    ****Updated****

Added professional statement, better formatting, and expanded on job details.

scrubbed.pdf
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Seeking a challenging opportunity..." is an objective statement. You want to avoid this. This information is implied and unnecessary.

Right-align your dates with the right margin.

There should be a space separating the Education section from the Certification section.

I think this is coming along. Try to elaborate on your IT accomplishments as much as possible, and always try to tailor your resume for each individual job position that you apply for. This may mean that each job receives a slightly different version of your resume. And that's ok.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Thanks srabiee! I truly appreciate your help!
    HEY!! DOWN HERE!! icon_lol.gif

Though I'd just revive and old post of mine, instead of staring a new one. Tweeked somethings with my resume recently and was wondering if i could get some advice on it.

I've expanded on a few more of my duties past and present. I've removed listing regarding my reserve time, trying to see if I get more calls without it vice with it on there. Added some of my new certs.

Appreciate any comments, advice, criticism!