Another resume for review

d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
Hello everyone.So...I am currently acting as a temporary contractor on a client, and I don't have any prospects for my current employer, since most part of its contracts/projects are far away from here (other states) and they haven't talked about the possibility on getting me on those projects yet.So, thinking about my future goals, I have decided to go after a ISP/Consulting firm, in which I could get some advanced experience in the field.The issue is: in my current state, there is no demand for top level skills, and every extraordinary work (huge migrations, implementing new stuff) is contracted from consulting firms from outside (another state).I always tell that I am interesting in relocation, and could even afford every expenses, but it has been like 3 months since I am researching the market (started looking for a new role actively this month), but I keep being rejected, no feedback.This scenario applies for overseas opportunities too, hardly ever geta feedback, or lose contact when I tell them I am from Brazil.Is there anything wrong with my resume? Could you point that out? Is it my English skills? My writing/age (I'm 23)/skillset?Oh, by the way, I am not even applying for senior level roles.Thank you guys in advance!

Comments

• jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Woah, I looked it for two seconds and noticed the formatting was ... pretty bad. Look at a couple of the other posts of resume reviews and see if you can get it to look a bit more organized.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Thank you for your feedback!

I am working on a new draft right now.

Any other suggestions will be considered.
  • bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I agree on the layout- I noticed the boxes before the text. I wonder if you could address the visa issue in a cover letter rather than the resume. I would hate for the employer to discount you immediately because of the visa/location issue.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
    Thank you!

I will be changing this too
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others stated, you need a competent resume template as a first step to revising this thing.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Thank you everyone for your opinion.

I've done some ajustements, here it is.

network engineer.pdf

Better? :)
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Wow, the second one layout wise is much better.

The only additional suggestion is to lose the black box around each page
    I am trying this when I get home, but I think it looks smoother with that black margin.
    I agree that the border is too thick. It's thick enough as to be distracting. I recommend toning it down a bit.

It appears that you have font and/or font size discrepancies throughout the body of the resume. These need to be fixed.

Your dates should be right-aligned to the right side of the page.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Thank you!

I will post the new version in a few hours
    srabiee wrote: »
    I agree that the border is too thick. It's thick enough as to be distracting. I recommend toning it down a bit.It appears that you have font and/or font size discrepancies throughout the body of the resume. These need to be fixed.Your dates should be right-aligned to the right side of the page.

Done.

Now I think I got it right!

network engineer.pdf
    I think your bullets need to be fleshed out a bit more. Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. As it stands, your bullets read like a generic list of protocols and technologies. Make sure you begin each bullet with an action verb, use complete sentences, and try to write as academically as possible. Don't be afraid to shorten the length of each high-level overview and move some of that data to the bullets section, if necessary.

Try to use the same high-level overview plus bullets format for the "outsourcing company" position as well. You want your formatting to be consistent.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you. It may be a good resource to help you re-write your bullets.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod