Options

2015 Salary Report

13»

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I definitely think Cyber is the way to go salarywise. Also, much more interesting to me than Sysadmin. But wondering, to get from where I'm at now ($80's), to double in 4 - 5 years...does anyone have insight on this? I have around 15 years experience already, and now headed into a Cyber role. This year should have me with an MCSA, CEH, CISSP, and I'll begin a Masters in Fall. In 5 years I'd like to have a dual Masters in Cyber, with an MBA in Infosecurity / Policy. Also, more certs along the way. But who knows if this will get me to $160k. I know those jobs are out there in the cyber field...but alas...I have much work to do.

Double, let alone 160k? What market? California or NYC? You've basically stated you want very senior level pay for an engineer position but no qualifiers as to where. Let me know and I'll get started right away. I manage 7 in "cyber" for whatever that means for a Fortune 50 and don't make that kind of bread without outside engagements. LOL.

- beads
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Whenever you see these reports you have to take them with a grain of salt. A lot of the posts are talking about help desk salaries being high, but as someone said earlier it depends on the environment and scope of the duties the job requires. If you're fixing printers and loading drivers, you're earning above minimum wage. It's like McDonald's employees striking for more wages when they don't understand anyone can walk in and do that.

For certs, it only matters if the company thinks it does. You could get "Certified Supreme Leader of the Lemmings" and it wouldn't matter unless some company was willing to pay for that because either they're lemmings without a leader, or they have a customer they can bill work to that is full of lemmings.

Yes, they will follow you off the cliff.

I have a few certs that helped me get my job, but are not my primary duty on a daily basis. Anything with Security+ and CISSP may be skewed by government contracting jobs where those are requirements.

AWS is interesting, but if you read the Amazon job postings they lean toward programmers with knowledge of AWS, virtualization, and automation.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    i think these salary reports or surveys are exaggerating salaries...either for the training company to get more students for certs or just people who want to exaggerate their salaries...take the surveys and reports with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    if u want to make alot of money in IT, go into the oil/gas industry...those energy companies are paying buckoo dough, but the recent downturn has resulted in alot of layoffs.