Options

2015 Salary Report

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    My company is global engineering and our salaries across the board are 55k-60k for entry level help desk with a 4 year degree. Heck, I was making $21 per hour as a co-op 4 years ago. There are many mid level IT people here on getting in the mid 80's and yes, they are just resetting passwords. You just have to negotiate and get in the right industry.

Okay where is this at? I'm about to graduate from WGU and I'll gladly relocate anywhere in the US to get mid 80s salary.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    anoeljr wrote: »
    It's all about who you know. If you know the right people there's a limitless possibility of what you could be making.

I agree with this right here.
  • Options
    This just is not true. If you walk into a job and they are only willing to pay 30-40k, I don't care if you negotiated the return of hostages from pirates, you're not getting 60k. Prior to my current job, I had 2 IT jobs and interviewed for a dozen or more. None paid more than $40k and this was for desktop support/jr admin type roles, not help desk. They weren't willing to pay more, that's it. You could be the next prodigy, but if a company has set a budget for a position, then good luck. Average college grad isn't making $60k coming out of a 4 year program, so I don't know how someone could expect help desk to make that much in most areas. It's an easy job that requires minimal skill. Yes, if you get in on the right company/industry/whatever you can get paid more than most do - and I know someone getting paid $60k for entry level desktop support (his relative worked there though). I wouldn't say that's the norm though. I have a good sample size and know a few people as well and what they make.

I'm not the only one who agrees with this. Others in this post stated similar salaries. I'm not saying there aren't jobs that pay 40 for help desk, what I am saying is there are help desk jobs and OTHER jobs that pay 50 - 60. This is fact and how you sell yourself and negotiate your skills plays a HUGE role in how much you make. This is a FACT.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm not the only one who agrees with this. Others in this post stated similar salaries. I'm not saying there aren't jobs that pay 40 for help desk, what I am saying is there are help desk jobs and OTHER jobs that pay 50 - 60. This is fact and how you sell yourself and negotiate your skills plays a HUGE role in how much you make. This is a FACT.

Company tells you the max they are paying is $35-$40k. Please elaborate on how you get $15-$20k more than they are willing to pay? If you're new to the game and these are the positions you get called in for, you can't just turn them down. You need experience and it's probably more money than your college job, so you take it. If getting paid was as easy as you make it seem, people wouldn't be here asking for advice on how to advance themselves via certs and education. They'd be on YouTube looking up soft skill videos or something.

I completely agree about the other jobs statement though. I just disagree that it's the norm judging by my experiences and other posts by people here just breaking into the game.
  • Options
    Have you tried reading soft skill books and networking on meetup and other forums with like minded professionals? Did you learn a lot from your internship while you were in college? Did you get a degree, if so what was it in?

I can assure you if you get a high quality IT degree such as computer science you can EASILY get 50+ out of college. EASILY.

I'm done with this conversation, I graduated with a group of guys in IT who all got over 50 back in 2001.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree you might be able to get 60k right of college if you got a degree in Computer Science and got a programming job... Not help desk
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's off, but still interesting to see. The increase in salary is normal, rate of inflation I guess. But the salary is based on so many things, especially location so someone making mid 100's in one state or country (Canada/US) could be low 100's in another state/country, cost of living, etc.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Company tells you the max they are paying is $35-$40k. Please elaborate on how you get $15-$20k more than they are willing to pay? If you're new to the game and these are the positions you get called in for, you can't just turn them down.

You can't argue with the budget for a particular position, but you don't have to stay there long. Take that position for $35k and spend the next year learning, studying and looking for your next job @ $50k+. Rinse and repeat until desired salary level has been achieved. :)

Worked for me - I started in desktop support 5 years ago and as of last month have tripled my base pay.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    You can't argue with the budget for a particular position, but you don't have to stay there long. Take that position for $35k and spend the next year learning, studying and looking for your next job @ $50k+. Rinse and repeat until desired salary level has been achieved. :)

Worked for me - I started in desktop support 5 years ago and as of last month have tripled my base pay.

That's what I've done too so far, so no complaints from me :)
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    This makes me kind of sick. I make base pay with 16 years of experience. Of course I came up the hard way without a degree. When I finish WGU does that mean I can demand 6 figures? I'll call it what it is bolshevik.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ Sounds like you are doing something very wrong. I'm guessing government work, correct?
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pedigree of your school matters a lot. I know this forum is heavy on WGU, but for the most part you won't get the same ROI vs. going to Penn or Brown. Those schools offer connections and programs to get their students internships and positions after graduation. For example, my company looks a Michigan, Virginia Tech, Stanford, and MIT for their MBA's and engineering grads because of the return they've received from students from those schools. It's something to keep in mind if you're going back for a college degree.
  • Options
    Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's all about who you know. If you know the right people there's a limitless possibility of what you could be making.

I completely agree with you! I haven't graduated college yet (6 months left) and only have basic CompTIA certifications. I was able to get a job that starts out with 55K. I will also be promoted towards the end of the year with a 5K raise. The only reason why I got this position was because I knew the manager. BTW I work at a tier 2 help desk.

• Options
    Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pedigree of your school matters a lot. I know this forum is heavy on WGU, but for the most part you won't get the same ROI vs. going to Penn or Brown. Those schools offer connections and programs to get their students internships and positions after graduation. For example, my company looks a Michigan, Virginia Tech, Stanford, and MIT for their MBA's and engineering grads because of the return they've received from students from those schools. It's something to keep in mind if you're going back for a college degree.

You've made an excellent point. My friend received her Bachelor's degree from Strayer University and ended up with a pretty good IT job starting out at 80K. She did have previous experience before she applied for the position. She also has excellent communication skills so I think that was a plus during her interview. While I agree it's important to get your degree from a well respected university, I don't think a degree from WGU will prevent you from getting a high paying/respected job. I believe it's all about how well you represent yourself and the educational background that supports it.

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□

I would say if someone goes to the schools you mentioned, especially IVY league, they'd be aspiring for much different jobs than what many people here have. I know I probably would.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completely agree with you! I haven't graduated college yet (6 months left) and only have basic CompTIA certifications. I was able to get a job that starts out with 55K. I will also be promoted towards the end of the year with a 5K raise. The only reason why I got this position was because I knew the manager. BTW I work at a tier 2 help desk.

That's great! Good job!
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've made an excellent point. My friend received her Bachelor's degree from Strayer University and ended up with a pretty good IT job starting out at 80K. She did have previous experience before she applied for the position. She also has excellent communication skills so I think that was a plus during her interview. While I agree it's important to get your degree from a well respected university, I don't think a degree from WGU will prevent you from getting a high paying/respected job. I believe it's all about how well you represent yourself and the educational background that supports it.

Agreed. I'd love a degree from Stanford and it'd probably help me, but I don't think WGU will hold me back in any way. It will at the very minimum check that box for a degree.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I would say if someone goes to the schools you mentioned, especially IVY league, they'd be aspiring for much different jobs than what many people here have. I know I probably would.

Finally somebody with some real sense. If you got to a big name school, you aren't going to be looking for this type of work even if it pays well. I've met a few people that went to big 10 schools since I've been in this field, but none higher than that. I've met some Ivy's at some of my clients, and I make more $$$ than the majority of them. They have more wealth than me, but thats another discussion for later.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely think Cyber is the way to go salarywise. Also, much more interesting to me than Sysadmin. But wondering, to get from where I'm at now ($80's), to double in 4 - 5 years...does anyone have insight on this? I have around 15 years experience already, and now headed into a Cyber role. This year should have me with an MCSA, CEH, CISSP, and I'll begin a Masters in Fall. In 5 years I'd like to have a dual Masters in Cyber, with an MBA in Infosecurity / Policy. Also, more certs along the way. But who knows if this will get me to $160k. I know those jobs are out there in the cyber field...but alas...I have much work to do.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I definitely think Cyber is the way to go salarywise. Also, much more interesting to me than Sysadmin. But wondering, to get from where I'm at now ($80's), to double in 4 - 5 years...does anyone have insight on this? I have around 15 years experience already, and now headed into a Cyber role. This year should have me with an MCSA, CEH, CISSP, and I'll begin a Masters in Fall. In 5 years I'd like to have a dual Masters in Cyber, with an MBA in Infosecurity / Policy. Also, more certs along the way. But who knows if this will get me to $160k. I know those jobs are out there in the cyber field...but alas...I have much work to do.

Go into sales at 1 of the larger tech companies. You can make a lot of money very quickly.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    ^ Sounds like you are doing something very wrong. I'm guessing government work, correct?

Government work would probably pay more than the path I took. I started out working for my high school, and then to a non-profit. Then to the newspaper industry (we see where that ended up), and then small businesses ever since. I am trying to get my degree done just to get the check so I can get into some larger companies.

If I was willing to move it'd be easier, but I need the support of my family raising my 3 kids on my own.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238

CEH mean is 95k?

Honestly, I don't find this super hard to believe. In the right area and industry that's not all that high of a salary. In the midwest or someplace it would be alot, but in California, DC, and NYC I buy it, and they might have a high enough concentration to drive the average up.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whatever happened to that salary thread? That was a great motivator and gauge to compare to...I thought TE was going to put it back up?
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Wow, that report just seemed like a bunch of made up numbers. Comparing some of these salaries to online sites like Pay Scale, Glassdoor, and Indeed I can honestly say these are all over the place. Also for everyone on here remember that 100K in NYC is not the same as 100K in Des Moines..

Cost of Living Calculator | Comparison Tool
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The irony of working for the company, yet not making what they claim the certifications are worth icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    The irony of working for the company, yet not making what they claim the certifications are worth icon_rolleyes.gif
    Time to print that out and take it to your boss!!! Only thing you need to say as you pass it over ..."sir" :D
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I've been underpaid a lot as CCENT.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    xenodamus wrote: »

This isn't necessarily relevant to the topic but I love your profile pic! lol!
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    SawedoffSawedoff Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need to ask for more money then.... according to this anyway.

Although I could. Wouldn't hurt. :P
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The Amazon Web Services sidebar on page 16 had some nice numbers. The AWS Solution Architect Professional is the next cert on my list.