Options

GREM question

billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
Hi All,

I had a question for you folks. I may have a chance to take the GREM course next. Are there any recommended pre reqs to take for the GREM? I know that there are no formal pre reqs. I have taken the GSNA and GCIH courses. I am missing the GCIA, so I feel if I take the GREM next, will this be too much for myself without taking the GCIA beforehand? I currently work in incident response.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would think FOR508 would be more applicable to FOR610 (technically speaking, GREM refers to the GIAC exam, not the SANS course). It seems any prereqs would really be more about understanding programming concepts or having experience in that domain. I'd say that the material from SEC503 has minimal direct relevance to what's taught in FOR610.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Thanx doc. How much experience in programming do you need? I had most of experience ten years ago in college but I'm definitely not a developer
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really have no idea other than what's implied in the course syllabus, which is:
    Attendees should have a high-level understanding of key programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions; however, no programming experience is necessary.

You can try contacting the course author (Lenny Zeltser) to get a better idea. While it mentions that a programming background isn't required, SANS said the same thing about SEC660 and after my co-worker took that one, he said for that particular course it was more realistic to have some kind of programming experience (even if it's minimal) in order to get the most out of the class.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Reading up practical malware analysis will give you the good idea what is it about.