Options

USB disabled in BIOS. How can I turn back on without a keyboard?

Rainmaker51Rainmaker51 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a friends PC who turned off all his USB ports in the BIOS (HP Pavilion S5-1400) and now he can't do anything. His PC wasn't working, which is why he was messing around with it. Is there a way to reset that thing by pulling batteries, jumpers on the motherboard, etc., etc?

Comments

• Options
    digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    either pull the battery and let the CMOS die, or us a jumper to reset it to factory, then start over.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does he possibly have any kind of remote access software installed (TeamViewer, etc)? Did he happen to enable Remote Desktop?
  • Options
    No, unfortunately he did not. Even then, the computer only got so far on bootup. Loaded with Malware
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Well, I tried pulling the battery, waited more than a few minutes, popped it back in, and it said "Time and Date Not Set", but still no keyboard function.
  • Options
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try the jumper settings that cyberguy posted in here. That should do it.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »

This is about as back-to-basics as one can get. I trust you are having difficulty with the KB because you are using a USB KB? Do you have PS2 ports on there? Try a standard KB and the various DEL, F1, F8 or which ever BIOS entry key pops up for your version of HP.

EDIT - another thought, you may have to pull the HDD and scan it outside of the HP, clean it up, reinsert the HDD and try the jumper reset. This should clear up your malware and enable your USB as it should permit you to enter BIOS.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To piggyback off of Plantwiz, you may need to get a wired keyboard instead of a wireless keyboard if that is what you're using. I couldn't boot my computer to the BIOS with my wireless keyboard and had to buy a wired one. Both were USB keyboards.
  • Options
    Even though the HP documentation was incorrect, after searching through the forums there, someone had posted the correct jumper settings. Thanks to you and everyone with helpful suggestions.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Thank you for following up to let us know you are all set and that the jumper reset worked for you!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Mow - remote control software will not work at the BIOS level. even if they could boot, and access the system remotely it would not allow you to manipulate the CMOS to re-enable USB ports.
  • Options
    Yeah, I caught that (when you mentioned it was BIOS) and am now ashamed. I guess I didn't read the OP very closely.icon_redface.gif