Options

Upgrading to Windows 10 now!

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    DVDs? Were you hoping your computer would play your vinyl records and VHS tapes as well? icon_wink.gif
    No. Just DVDs. And Blu Rays. But vinyl and VHS is maybe a list of your expectations?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I input vinyl into my computer on occasion, they are still popular for good reasons. For DVD's there are many free players that support everything WMP does plus more, my favorite is potplayer but it's not for the faint of heart. For blurays there aren't any good free players that fully support them, WMP included, quite a shame.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Actually Cyberlink Power DVD which I got a copy of for free with a blu ray player I bought used, works just fine to play Blu Rays and it has a 3 d mode as well. One thing I do agree on, there is not a damn thing out there that will burn them correctly to play back on a home Blu Ray player for free.

varelg
    I see. In the "upgraded" version of Windows I have to pay for something that I already had for free in Windows 7.

How much did you pay for that copy of Windows 7 you got the "Free" media player with?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    I didn't pay anything extra, nor was I forced into chasing a player for my media.
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    I didn't pay anything extra, nor was I forced into chasing a player for my media.

I didn't ask you if you paid extra, I asked you how much did you pay for your copy of windows 7? Whether already installed or you bought a copy, you paid for it. I have been an authorized re-seller for a long time now, and I know how much I have to pay for every single copy of Windows I install and activate, so even if you bought a computer with it already installed, you paid for it.

And to be honest with you, if you don't like what they are doing, why complain about it? Just don't upgrade, the ball is in your court, they ain't forcing you to upgrade. Stick with what you have if it fulfills the needs you have. Getting on here and bitching about one of the biggest companies in the world, that the majority of computers run on, does nothing, not even a speck on the window.

If you don't like it, then don't do it.

I found out a long time ago, if I didn't like what was going on, then I don't do it, I work with the things that work for me, plain and simple griping about what I don't like, is never going to be as great as being happy with what will.

Just as an aside, you have not been force to do anything.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    You (intentionally or not) forgot that both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are still... Windows. And that you also already paid both for version of Windows that was pre-installed and for the quazi- upgrade that is Windows 10. But you are also now forced into paying extra for something that was already free on the previous version. If you are barking under the Microsoft Tax tree, that's a wrong tree to bark under.
    "If you don't like it, go" is a favourite fanboy excuse that is heard when you present failures of their subject of idolatry. You'll hear it from Mac fans, Linux fans, MS fans. It is not a problem to go. But if you are into cheerleading and not into providing solutions, I don't want you to work for me.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try this link for an explanation on how to get DVD playback, for free, from MS. I know, it is still hunting down an app to use instead of it just being there, but that is the breaks.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I finally got around to upgrading to Windows 10 this week. My main desktop had an issue with a piece of Trend Micro software I was using previously. I had been using RU Botted, to do regular scans. I uninstalled it, but failed to delete the directory under the program files folder. Windows 10 detected it as Trend Micro Internet Security 2009. Ive never had that installed.

So finally after searching, I found an article where the user deleted that folder, and his install worked. I did the same and boom. I am a happy Windows 10 user finally.

Now to figure out how to stream games from my Xbox One.
  • Options
    You (intentionally or not) forgot that both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are still... Windows. And that you also already paid both for version of Windows that was pre-installed and for the quazi- upgrade that is Windows 10. But you are also now forced into paying extra for something that was already free on the previous version. If you are barking under the Microsoft Tax tree, that's a wrong tree to bark under.
    "If you don't like it, go" is a favourite fanboy excuse that is heard when you present failures of their subject of idolatry. You'll hear it from Mac fans, Linux fans, MS fans. It is not a problem to go. But if you are into cheerleading and not into providing solutions, I don't want you to work for me.

I would not ever apply for a job with a person like you either, besides I am retired and work in a consultant capacity when I want to. I don't really care what is on my computer as long as it works. I have not upgraded to 10, but as in the past, if you purchased a computer with XP on it and you decided to upgrade to 7, you had to purchase a new upgrade copy, if you wanted to upgrade to 8.1 you once again, had to purchase a new upgrade copy. Now with 10, you don't have to pay to get the core program.

You can resist the way the industry is going, but in the future, I don't believe it will get you very far as every major company out there is moving this same way, be a rebel, works for me.

I have no problem with windows, I authorized millions of tax dollars to purchase hundreds of thousands of copies of it when I was in the military as I also did for Macs and Linux boxes, we used all of them for various tasks we did everyday.

I don't really care what you use, I use what works for me and in reality the media player is the least important part of the program to me and never has been that important for what I do.
  • Options
    Personally, I am rather enjoying Windows 10. The upgrade was smooth, no problems. I even did a clean install, again, no problems. So far, I haven't noticed anything missing, as I have long ago replaced those programs with alternatives that, to me at least, do a better job than the default programs.

As for the portions of this thread that are, for lack of a better term, unproductive, please consider switching to the PM system. It would be greatly appreciated.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    Stryder,

I would think that would be a call for the moderator, what you find unproductive, might actually be very productive to another user. I find numerous threads on systems to be unproductive to myself, but actually quite productive to others.

If I had the desire to correspond with this other individual in depth, then I would PM, but I don't find it needed. I have stated what I wanted to state.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Personally, I am rather enjoying Windows 10. The upgrade was smooth, no problems. I even did a clean install, again, no problems. So far, I haven't noticed anything missing, as I have long ago replaced those programs with alternatives that, to me at least, do a better job than the default programs.

As for the portions of this thread that are, for lack of a better term, unproductive, please consider switching to the PM system. It would be greatly appreciated.

I need to try a clean install on both of my home machines. My laptop is a bit old, but it wasn't like Windows Update, nor the Media Creation Tool (it just crashes). My other PC would have windows update crash (but I didn't try the media tool yet). I'll probably wait until I get a better SSD as mine is pretty small.
  • Options
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Media Creation Tool crashes for me too with 'something happened' on 4 computers, 3x 8.1, 1x 7. It doesn't seem to be a very common issue and everyone I've spoken to until now has had success. I ended up googling and finding direct links for it and testing it in a VM. I'm guessing I'll stay on 8.1 until next year at least. The only thing that really interests me is mutli-desktop and lan sharing for windows updates, I'm tired of dealing with WSUS.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    I need to try a clean install on both of my home machines. My laptop is a bit old, but it wasn't like Windows Update, nor the Media Creation Tool (it just crashes). My other PC would have windows update crash (but I didn't try the media tool yet). I'll probably wait until I get a better SSD as mine is pretty small.

Which version of Windows 10 are you updating to?

• Options
    Which version of Windows 10 are you updating to?

For my desktop 64-bit, for my laptop 32-bit. I have Pro installed on my desktop and Home installed on my laptop.
  • Options
    For my desktop 64-bit, for my laptop 32-bit. I have Pro installed on my desktop and Home installed on my laptop.

Okay. Hmmm...I have the Pro x64 version. Just kind of curious if different versions had different install issues. I used the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO. Once I had the ISO, I used the Windows 7 DVD USB tool (installed it to my Windows 10 Pro machine) to create a bootable thumb drive.

• Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    Stryder,

I would think that would be a call for the moderator, what you find unproductive, might actually be very productive to another user. I find numerous threads on systems to be unproductive to myself, but actually quite productive to others.

If I had the desire to correspond with this other individual in depth, then I would PM, but I don't find it needed. I have stated what I wanted to state.

Fair enough. My apologies if I overstepped my bounds. Not my intent.

• Options
    32-bit on laptop at this day and age... good grief! icon_jokercolor.gif
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    @=Shoe Box

What is it with people that don't want to change?
    Yeah what's with those people? Still running 32-bit machines and shout how they are all about progress?
  • Options
    Yeah what's with those people? Still running 32-bit machines and shout how they are all about progress?

What are you talking about 32 bit? All of my current computers are running 64 bit OS, 3 of them are 64 bit windows 7 enterprise, wife's computer runs 64 bit windows 7, two of my boxes run 64 bit 8.1. And my XP machine is 64 bit windows pro, and the only thing that runs on it, is my weather program.

I have on relied on a 32 bit for anything for several years now?
  • Options
    I am saying I am with you on "what's with the people that resist change", not saying that you per se use 32-bit laptop for your personal computing, like some MS heroes...
    Oh by the way, Sony also seems to be skipping on Windows 10 "upgrade":

DailyTech - Sony Issues Bizzare "Do Not Update" Edict to VAIO PC Owners
  • Options
    Okay. Hmmm...I have the Pro x64 version. Just kind of curious if different versions had different install issues. I used the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO. Once I had the ISO, I used the Windows 7 DVD USB tool (installed it to my Windows 10 Pro machine) to create a bootable thumb drive.

That's probably what I need to do. I just hate reinstalling everything. I don't mind it so much for my laptop because it's crappy and has nothing on it, but not so much with my desktop.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sony needs to get on the ball with it's drivers. Good thing they got out of computers
    Farewell, VAIO computers.
    After almost 20 years of VAIO, we're evolving away from the laptop and desktop business. Check out our ultra thin and powerful tablets and feel the best of Sony at your fingertips.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Guess Microsoft needs to patch/address some of this stuff, Windows 10 is chatty even when you tell it not to.

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    n
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Sony needs to get on the ball with it's drivers. Good thing they got out of computers

Yeah, you summed it up rather nicely. I bought a Vaio back in 2008. It only had 32-bit Vista for business on it. When I updated it to Windows 8.1 64-bit a lot of the function keys were broken on it, such as adjusting the brightness to name one. I was pretty amused when I installed Ubuntu on it and all of the function keys worked on it.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Media Creation Tool crashes for me too with 'something happened' on 4 computers, 3x 8.1, 1x 7. It doesn't seem to be a very common issue and everyone I've spoken to until now has had success. I ended up googling and finding direct links for it and testing it in a VM. I'm guessing I'll stay on 8.1 until next year at least. The only thing that really interests me is mutli-desktop and lan sharing for windows updates, I'm tired of dealing with WSUS.

I used the Windows USB/DVD tool from MS if I recall correctly to make the Win 10 USB bootable and used it to install Windows 10 on my work and girlfriends laptop.

Worked out well.
  • Options
    That's probably what I need to do. I just hate reinstalling everything. I don't mind it so much for my laptop because it's crappy and has nothing on it, but not so much with my desktop.

I hear you on that. This is one of the main reasons why I don't load a lot of programs directly on my computer. I have migrated, for the most part, to using VMware Workstation, building VMs, then putting programs on them. Might seem like it is a bit much, but, I have been a lot less hesitant about updating/upgrading the OS directly on my machine. Just as long as I have backups of my VMs and other important data, I don't worry about having an update/upgrade go south on me.

• Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    I'm really enjoying 10 now that I can disable anything privacy related.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just updated to 10 on my gaming machine. I have to say I like it, much better than Windows 8 for sure.