Passed Cloud+ and Storage+, and Got a Question

bjpeterbjpeter ■■■□□□□□□□Posts: 195Member ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed Cloud+ with an 816/900 on August 20, and yesterday, I passed Storage+ with a 780/900. Then today was my first day at my new job! :)

The Storage+ exam was harder than the Cloud+ exam. I used the Sybex Data Storage Networking book to study for the former exam. For Cloud+, I used the CompTIA Cloud+ Certification Study Guide (Exam CV0-001) (Certification Press).

Question: I passed the Security+ exam earlier this year. Can I use the CEUs that I earned by passing the Storage+ exam to renew my Security+ certification right before it expires in three years?

My Security+ certification will expire on July 27, 2018. Can I upload the CEUs and renew on July 20, 2018?
2020 Goals: SSCP, CISSP-ISSEP, MySQL 5.6 Developer, PenTest+, CySA+
2019 Goals: eCPPT
Achieved: CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.
  • bjpeterbjpeter ■■■□□□□□□□ Posts: 195Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.

Storage+ will renew Security+ because it is at a higher tier. But my question is related to the timing. Can I wait a couple of years before I upload the CEUs?
    Achieved: CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 ■■■□□□□□□□ Posts: 475Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you take and pass the storage+ exam Comptia will automatically renew your security+.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Posts: 1,722Member
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • fuz1onfuz1on ■■■■□□□□□□ Posts: 961Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • bjpeterbjpeter ■■■□□□□□□□ Posts: 195Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.

Thanks, guys! The Storage+ did automatically renew my Security+ certification. I found out the day I got my certification. So instead of the latter expiring on July 27, 2018, it now will expire on September 2, 2018, a few months later.
  • notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable ■■□□□□□□□□ Posts: 36Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »

I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Posts: 1,722Member
    I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.

Yeah, that's one of the things I am hoping they will change.

VCAP/VCDX/VCIX or MCSE Private Cloud are pretty big things to do just to recertify Cloud+. Even VCP:CMA won't get you the full 50 points. Vanila MCSA/MCSE Server 2012 only gets you 5 points, despite the Hyper-V and Azure content now integrated in the mainstream certs.

Most of the Red Hat track seems to be missing. They have a whole RHCA Cloud cert now. The Microsoft Azure certs are missing. No CCNA Cloud. And the whole Rackspace/CloudU thing seems to be missing, too. LPI have a virtualisation track that touches on public/private clouds and Openstack/Cloudstack.

Where do they think people are actually going after Cloud+?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • N3TW0RK_N3RDN3TW0RK_N3RD ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 4Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma ■■■□□□□□□□ Posts: 58Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.

Storage+ was there a couple of weeks ago but my assumption is - since CompTIA is phasing is out (last day to take this exam is: 15.01.2016) it has been already removed from their certificate hierarchy of certifications.
  • greg9891greg9891 ■■■■■■■□□□ Posts: 1,174Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAPosts: 4,009Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, GCP Architect, Series 6, Series 63