Passed Cloud+ and Storage+, and Got a Question

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed Cloud+ with an 816/900 on August 20, and yesterday, I passed Storage+ with a 780/900. Then today was my first day at my new job! :)

The Storage+ exam was harder than the Cloud+ exam. I used the Sybex Data Storage Networking book to study for the former exam. For Cloud+, I used the CompTIA Cloud+ Certification Study Guide (Exam CV0-001) (Certification Press).

Question: I passed the Security+ exam earlier this year. Can I use the CEUs that I earned by passing the Storage+ exam to renew my Security+ certification right before it expires in three years?

My Security+ certification will expire on July 27, 2018. Can I upload the CEUs and renew on July 20, 2018?
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.

Storage+ will renew Security+ because it is at a higher tier. But my question is related to the timing. Can I wait a couple of years before I upload the CEUs?
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you take and pass the storage+ exam Comptia will automatically renew your security+.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.

Thanks, guys! The Storage+ did automatically renew my Security+ certification. I found out the day I got my certification. So instead of the latter expiring on July 27, 2018, it now will expire on September 2, 2018, a few months later.
  • notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »

I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.

Yeah, that's one of the things I am hoping they will change.

VCAP/VCDX/VCIX or MCSE Private Cloud are pretty big things to do just to recertify Cloud+. Even VCP:CMA won't get you the full 50 points. Vanila MCSA/MCSE Server 2012 only gets you 5 points, despite the Hyper-V and Azure content now integrated in the mainstream certs.

Most of the Red Hat track seems to be missing. They have a whole RHCA Cloud cert now. The Microsoft Azure certs are missing. No CCNA Cloud. And the whole Rackspace/CloudU thing seems to be missing, too. LPI have a virtualisation track that touches on public/private clouds and Openstack/Cloudstack.

Where do they think people are actually going after Cloud+?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • N3TW0RK_N3RDN3TW0RK_N3RD Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.

Storage+ was there a couple of weeks ago but my assumption is - since CompTIA is phasing is out (last day to take this exam is: 15.01.2016) it has been already removed from their certificate hierarchy of certifications.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63