Options

ITIL: Service Transition (ST): My experience & tips for future students.

HaydenMHaydenM Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
After a few weeks of procrastination I sat my ITIL: ST exam via web proctor and successfully passed. One of the trends I saw on this forum was a feeling of uncertainty after completing the course material and doing a practice exam – what to do then?

My experience & method as follows -

Through my provider I was given 2 practice exams for the ST lifecycle, but also 2 practice exams for the Release, Control & Validation capability (RCV).

My approach.

1. You should know and be able to write all the topics off by heart (TP&S, Change management, SACM etc). It doesn’t need to be in order, but that will help.

2. You should be able to write at least one sentence but ideally two or three for each of them on what they are used for, their purpose & relationship with other lifecycles.

a. E.g Change Evaluation (Key word: evalu aka value) – Change evaluation provides value by assessing if the service will deliver benefits to the business. Its main output with the evaluation report which feeds into CSI. It does this by assessing the actual performance against the predicted performance.
b. If you can’t write a few sentences for each of them, then that should be your goal before you attempt a practice exam.

3. After you are able to do this, assuming you have multiple prac exams then attempt the first one. Afterwards there are two key lessons

a. First, where did you perform poorly? A question on SVT for example – highlight that as a revision area and work to build out your description of SVT.
b. Second – How well did you read the questions, did you select an answer that wasn’t relevant to the scenario (I did multiple times). This can happen when you have your own personal bias through experience – your goal here is to remove these bias’s and be able to see the question through the eyes of whoever it was written for – Service Desk Manage, Change Manager, Transition Manager etc..

i. Additionally I found studying the answer justifications really useful to understand what it is they are looking for when answering a question and also to help with the descriptions in point 1.

For the exam, I used a pretty basic system to mark ticks for each of the answers as I was reading them, at the end it was clear was the detractor (generally 1 or 0 ticks) and which were the top 2 most correct. Again it should be relevant to the scenario e.g while delivering on budget is important, if it doesn’t talk about financials in the question it may not be relevant.

Hope it helps, happy to connect & discuss - https://au.linkedin.com/in/haydenmckay

Regards,
Hayden

Comments