Options

GCIH and CEH

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for my CEH now and have noticed that many of the topics covered are also covered in the GCIH exam. Would it benefit me to take both exams as I imagine the GCIH would be harder and maybe more in-depth. Anyone has taken both care to compare the two?

Comments

• Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm planning on taking the GCIH this Friday and the CEH a week later so I'd be interested as well. I've just heard that if you can pass the GCIH, the CEH should be a breeze.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CEH, OSCP, GCIH all have similarities on the subjects they test from what I can tell (I have not taken the GCIH but I looked at the website). What is your purpose for taking either? CEH is a known by HR so that is a definite benefit regardless of what anybody says...because that is the first hurdle when looking for jobs. I would assume GCIH is not as much...and on indeed there was almost double the postings for C|EH vs GCIH. So from a knowledge standpoint, you probably will not get a ton of differences (although C|EH is updating the exam)....but I would do it if I was in your position and had the money or an employer backing.

Also look at the requirements for the C|EH....two years of experience to self-study or you have to take an official training (starting at around $1,800 for self paced).
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GCIH definitely had a good amount of overlapping content, the only difference is that GCIH is an open exam and requires a good amount of material to take on the exam. You can read up on my book list here which I recommend to for to take GCIH. It shouldnt take very long for you to go through the content since especially if the concept is fresh from your mind.

Random Work of a Blue Team Analyst: Self Study for GIAC
  • Options
    supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LionelTeo wrote: »
    GCIH definitely had a good amount of overlapping content, the only difference is that GCIH is an open exam and requires a good amount of material to take on the exam. You can read up on my book list here which I recommend to for to take GCIH. It shouldnt take very long for you to go through the content since especially if the concept is fresh from your mind.

Random Work of a Blue Team Analyst: Self Study for GIAC

Great write up on your site. I am bookmarking it to go into that path myself and reading it from someone who actually has done it is a bonus!
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I completed both CISSP and GCIH earlier this year. I've been reading CEH material by Matt Walker and it just seems like a review of what I've done earlier in the year plus a lot more Nmap.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Those of you that have taken the GCIH, what is your motivation to take the CEH as well?

I read through Matt Walker's book last month and was trying to get some clarification on the 2 year requirement to take the exam but could never get a straight answer. Between that and the recent changes with CEHv9, I think I'm going to bypass the CEH and just do the GCIH. Thoughts?
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IaHawk wrote: »
    Those of you that have taken the GCIH, what is your motivation to take the CEH as well?

I read through Matt Walker's book last month and was trying to get some clarification on the 2 year requirement to take the exam but could never get a straight answer. Between that and the recent changes with CEHv9, I think I'm going to bypass the CEH and just do the GCIH. Thoughts?

My reasoning is marketability, HR loves CEH and my boss will pay for it so why not.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options

I see more job postings with CEH than GCIH and with the material overlap I think CEH should be easy after doing GCIH.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    I see more job postings with CEH than GCIH and with the material overlap I think CEH should be easy after doing GCIH.

That seems consistent with what I have heard from others, from an HR standpoint. I'll probably pass for now since I only have 1 year of IT security experience and try and convince work to pay for GCIH...if anything, I'll apply for their work study program for $900.
  • Options
    That seems consistent with what I have heard from others, from an HR standpoint. I'll probably pass for now since I only have 1 year of IT security experience and try and convince work to pay for GCIH...if anything, I'll apply for their work study program for $900.

SEC504 was a lot of fun. I hope you get in.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have shifted to a new blog. Will be getting a domain name soon.

Welcome to Gravity Sec!

Update: I have receive a down rep from someone who thinks I am spamming my blog. A previous user had book mark my previous link and hence I am updating that the links have shifted. Please look at the context around it and not just the wordings, thanks.