Options

SANS SEC401 Security Essentials Bootcamp

legolego Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm interested in learning more about cyber security. I don't have an IT education background but I'm in charge of the IT in the office (25 people).

I don't need the certificate, so is it worth it for me to take this course? The company is paying for it. I might take the exam if I have time, but the certificate is no use to me for my career.

Are there any alternatives?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally, I think of SANS as the premier security training company and they are priced according so if your company is paying I would definitely take them up on it.

The thing I like about SANS is their instructors are security practitioners themselves and many own their own security related businesses.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    I have no doubts on their training, but I have minimal background in IT, especially in networking. I don't want to be completely lost in the class.

I'm currently taking the GIAC assessment test and I don't know 3/4 of the answers. Ie, Linus permission is set to 754... It means absolutely nothing to me.

What I'm trying to gain is what areas of improvement do I need for our office and how to implement it. I'll most likely outsource it.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are there alternatives? Of course! Everyone and their mother is doing security training nowadays. It all goes back to what iBrokeIT said, SANS is the epitome of InfoSec training. Many here dream of being able to convince their employers to pay for this. I say take it and never look back.

If you feel SEC 401 is too much you can take a peek at SEC 301. I usually try to steer people away from 301 but in your case it may make sense. This course is marketed to "People who are new to information security and in need of an introduction to the fundamentals of security or those who feel bombarded with complex technical security terms they don't understand, but want to understand"
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ah ok, for prereq knowledge I would definitely pickup a subscription to Pluralsight.com and go through Network+/Linux+/MCSA type of videos. Security is definitely not an entry level topic so yes, you should have the basics down before you attempt it.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My EX manager had 0 years of IT Security experience, doesnt even know what is a macro virus, yet he took GSLC and pass it. You should be able to handle GSEC, just go for it.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. I will for sure go through Network+/Linus+MCSA videos before proceeding. I don't want the course to go to waste and looking at the SEC301 outline, I think it's too easy for me for the money.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lego wrote: »
    I'm interested in learning more about cyber security. I don't have an IT education background

Are there any alternatives?

I would take the Sans 301 if you do not have a solid background in IT, it's a more introductory course that will better prepare you for the 401. There's a test on the SANS on the Sans website that tests you knowledge, and recommends which Sans course you should (301, 401 or 501) take based on the results of the test, having trouble locating the Link.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.