SANS MSISE Degree

URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to see if anyone out there is enrolled in, or has completed, the SANS MSISE program?

If so, what did you think of it? How were the presentation/research courses? I have taken several SANS courses (SEC 401, SEC 504, FOR 572, and others) and wanted to see how those translated to the rest of the curriculum.

What did you do to finance it? Since SANS.EDU is not Title IV, typical loans do not apply.

Thanks for any input!
MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE

Comments

• RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi URG_PSH_FIN,

I applied to the program last Spring, and have been enrolled for 3 months now. I'm pretty new to the program, but I will try my best to provide some insights.

Overall, I think it's a great program. It's pretty much an assortment of SANS courses packaged nicely into a graduate program-- justified by the 'extra' work: forced gold papers, group projects, and presentations. I'm currently working on two of the three required gold papers (401 and 503) in my first semester. This is a bit crazy and considered "front loading", but I had a bit of a scheduling snafu.

The gold papers really take the learning outcomes to a new level: it's fascinating submitting a research topic (as an abstract), having an advisor hand select your topic, and then working with the individual to provide a unique contribution to the security community.

I can't comment on the presentations/group projects yet-- my first presentation is scheduled for next May. I did however, attend another student's presentation this past September. It was pretty straight forward. A 30 minute presentation outlining the key research findings of the student's gold paper.

All of your classes could be translated into MSISE credits. 401 and 504 are required core classes, and 572 is one of the eligible electives. Keep in mind, though: you would only get partial credits for transferring 401 and 504 and would still be required to do gold papers (if applicable).

I'm pretty lucky on the financing side: I still have over a year left of VA benefits and my employer also provides annual tuition reimbursement.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Robicus,

Thanks for the great reply! This is exactly what I am looking for. This sounds like the program I will go into next after my MSIA (Was debating going straight into my DSc degree). I've taken a few SANS courses and those were by far the best courses I've taken. I could probably knock out my GSEC gold paper now and I am already shooting for SEC 503 next year. I've already completed the GCIH course, cert, and NetWars so that would give me my 25% if I get all of that knocked out. I could then use my remaining year of GI-Bill and cover a good majority of the course.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks again for the input, it was extremely useful.

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wonder what your motivation is for getting a second Masters in the same subject? If your going to go for a Masters from SANS then I would drop out of your current program.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    The focus for the SANS program is entirely different from my current Masters program. That said, I am half-way through the final course in my MSIA program and have my thesis around the corner. The SANS program will be a dedicated work path towards the GSE while also allows me to focus on some certifications I already have a desire to obtain. Why not obtain both along that route and consolidate efforts?

This will also allow me to dive into the publication arena and start down that road. Ultimately, I plan to use both of these degrees towards the my pursuit of a terminal degree.

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you looking at a doctorate? I'm just curious, why? I'm not anti-education, just wondering if you're planning on being a professor or something that may require it.
    Yes, I am seeking a doctorate. This is the primary reason I chose a thesis over the other exit strategies in my program (practicum, capstone project). I want the preparation that comes along with writing a thesis in order to prepare me for the dissertation. The SANS program, on the other hand, will help me with where I am seeking to take my job.

After my stint in the military, I am looking to get into research, academia, and consulting. I also view my DSc work as a way to help give back to the academic community and potentially the research world. I enjoy security and there is still a lot left to be researched. Being able to contribute to the body of knowledge is what I really want to do.

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Are you paying for it yourself?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    I will be paying for my Doctorate myself if I end up going for the SANS degree. I plan to apply for various grants and/or scholarships in an attempt to help alleviate the costs.

I am hoping to apply for Dakota State University's DSc in Information Systems (I can't do the cyber security program as I don't have a comp sci background).

• berto_testerberto_tester Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    URG_PSH_FIN

I was also debating between the SANS course and a PHD/DIT to use the remainder of my GI bill. What made you decide between one or the other?