Options

Why are SANS training events held in expensive areas?

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
SANS training / certifications are some of the most expensive in the security industry. To add insult to injury they are also held at some of the most expensive venues they can find. The SANS training I attended in Washington DC last year was held at a downtown Hilton hotel that cost $250 a night, and $55 a day parking, other SANS venues are not much cheaper. If they would just move the event outside the city, hotel costs dramatically drop, not to mention free parking. It’s not like you can do much sight seeing when your spending 10+ hours a day in class. The Philadelphia class I'm attending in March is $150 a night and $40 a day parking, moving the event to somewhere like the Embassy Suites in Valley Forge would drop hotel rates to around $115 a night with free parking.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    There's training all around the US from the looks of it: https://www.sans.org/security-training/by-location/north-america

On top of that, it looks like there's a lot of online live classes :) No travel that way
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Yes, All over the US, and they seem to be in the most expensive place in each city.

I had training both ways, and I firmly believe you get more out of live training. fewer distractions then virtual training at home or work. There's certainly no discount with virtual training, but you do save on the cost of hotel, parking, dining and possibly airfare.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Because if they do them in Akron, OH, Sandwich, IL, or Santa Claus, IN, no one would go icon_smile.gif

I don't know. Every time I've facilitated I've put more hours than every single candidate and still go sightseeing. Comes in handy to decompress after all that material.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    There's some places cheaper in there. For example, Anaheim, Orlando, Minneapolis, Seattle, Vegas, Houston, Portland, and Baltimore can have some cheap hotel options (under $150 and even $100/night) in comparison to Washington DC, NYC, San Francisco, etc hotels. It's all relative. I'll have to apologize but I'm not exactly sure what is expensive to you. To me, if I can get under $150/night, I'm happy. Under $100/night and not in a roach-infested **** == even better. I've personally stayed in different hotels than the training if it wasn't in my budget or it was hurting me financially. The CCIE DC bootcamp was probably the only exception. You can probably find a decent hotel and spend $10/day on uber so you don't have to pay for rental cars, gas, and parking.

Definitely agree with Cyberguypr - They want more people to attend so they're going to pick places with more bang for their buck.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Weren't you just complaining about your company going with a cheaper security training company due to cost in another thread?

SANS is the premier security training company and they are for-profit in order to fund their ventures and attract the best trainers. If you are one the best security trainers in your speciality would you want to have an all expenses paid stay and catering to teach at the local Super 8 or the Hilton? Some of those guys teach 8-12 classes a year and staying at the cheap run down hotel would get old fast.

When you ask questions like this you need to take in all the party's involved perspective.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Weren't you just complaining about your company going with a cheaper security training company due to cost in another thread?

Yes I was and it occurs to me if the cost of the Hotel, Parking, and Dining was half the cost, it be easier to "sell" it to management to let me get future training.

SANS is the premier security training company and they are for-profit in order to fund their ventures and attract the best trainers. If you are one the best security trainers in your specialty would you want to have an all expenses paid stay and catering to teach at the local Super 8 or the Hilton? Some of those guys teach 8-12 classes a year and staying at the cheap run down hotel would get old fast.

The alternative I suggested outside Philadelphia was a Embassy Suite, hardly a super 8.
  • Options

Yes I was and it occurs to me if the cost of the Hotel, Parking, and Dining was half the cost, it be easier to "sell" it to management to let me get future training.
    SANS is the premier security training company and they are for-profit in order to fund their ventures and attract the best trainers. If you are one the best security trainers in your specialty would you want to have an all expenses paid stay and catering to teach at the local Super 8 or the Hilton? Some of those guys teach 8-12 classes a year and staying at the cheap run down hotel would get old fast.

The alternative I suggested outside Philadelphia was a Embassy Suite, hardly a super 8.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Because if they do them in Akron, OH, Sandwich, IL, or Santa Claus, IN, no one would go icon_smile.gif

I never suggested they hold training in the middle of nowhere, but locating them near major cities (and not downtown) would reduce the overall lodging/ dining cost by about half.
    There's some places cheaper in there. For example, Anaheim, Orlando, Minneapolis, Seattle, Vegas, Houston, Portland, and Baltimore can have some cheap hotel options (under $150 and even $100/night) ...

You right, there nothing stopping people from staying at cheaper alternatives and commuting to the Sans Event every day. It's more convenient to stay onsite, but I really didn't even think of Uber when making arrangements. I'll have to rethink my lodging plans.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say the point of hosting it inside of a major city really has to do with travel to and within said city. Having it in a city allows for the use of public transportation or taxis vs having to pay for a rental car that you will merely use to get to the hotel. As you said, $40 a day to park when you really don't need a car. In your case you could Uber to Lindenwald, take the PATCO to 16th and Walnut, and then walk to 18th and Market with little fuss. Way cheaper then the 240 for parking. Hotel wise you could stay someplace other then the hotel that is hosting the event (though Philly hotels tend to be all around the same price).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff