GSEC SEC401 and GMON SEC511-freaked out

Kakashi316Kakashi316 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently got a new job where I need to pass these certifications in order to keep them. Im going to go through the bootcamps for both, but i want to do some studying so I dont mess this up. Are there any good books I can buy that would help? I found this on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/GSEC-Security-Essentials-Certification-Guide/dp/0071820914/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456240809&sr=1-4&keywords=sans+security

Would this book help? Im really nervous about this. Anyone whose ever taken the tests before, I can use whatever advice you could give.

Comments

• RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to clarify: You're going through the actual courses (not challenging them)? The books that come with each course are really all you need. I cannot speak on behalf of 511, but I wouldn't worry too much about 401.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Kakashi316Kakashi316 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, the company is paying for the courses
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You got a new job and they paying you to take 2 SANS courses right away... I officially hate you... (my jealously talking there)

I wouldn't waste my time with book from Amazon though.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    SANS courses are self contained. Every single thing you need to pass the exam will come directly from the course. Not sure if you know but GIAC exams are open book. You will also get two practice exams per certification. Now, that doesn't mean you can look up every question. If you understand the concepts and created a good index, you will certainly pass. Do a search here for "Passed GSEC" and you see will what others though of the exam experience.