Options

Passed GSEC

slim27jointslim27joint Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took the exam on the 24th and passed with an 84. I must admit this exam was quite unique a headache. This being my first GIAC exam, making it open book makes it even more difficult in my opinion. The 15 question score update was nice, as I wish all exams provided that feature. Best piece of advice:

1. Read through books 1 thru 4, no need for books 5 and 6.
2. Index all 6 books, indexing the books actually is more like reading the books over in the sense. Ensure you index the text below the slideshow!
3. Once you've done the previous steps, take one of the practice exams without using any notes or books with the option to show all answers to every question, yes even the ones you have gotten correct! If you're able to pass the exam with a 74 or higher then you are in great shape to pass since the real exam is very much in nature like the practice exam.
4. Now to receive a 90% or higher, a lot of that boils down to your indexing and knowledge of the material. Using the book is great but you won't be able to look up every answer, so you want to know a great chunk of the material beforehand. Again the indexing and practice exams are key to assessing where you are and what you need to work on.

I do have another practice exam that expires on April 24, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass.
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    Congrats, I would be interested in the practice exam
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would like the practice exam. I'd send you my SANS info via PM, but you only have 1 post up on here.
  • Options
    It's your call, but again I want to give it away to someone who is going to actually take the exam. I don't want it to go to waste.
  • Options
    I'm taking the GSEC exam soon, and I sent you an e-mail. You have to have a minimum number of post before you can send a private message to someone on this board.
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I'm taking the GSEC exam soon, and I sent you an e-mail. You have to have a minimum number of post before you can send a private message to someone on this board.

It's been sent
  • Options
    I got it! Thanks again!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework